First try with liquid yeast - timing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to use liquid yeast (Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity), and a starter for the first time this week. I'm going to brew on Friday, and I plan to get the starter going after work on Tuesday. I've been reading up on starters, but I have a couple of questions

Right now the Wyeast is in the refrigerator. Should I take it out Tuesday morning, so that it's definitely at room temperature by late afternoon? If so, should I smack it Tuesday morning or wait until I'm home from work?

Thanks for your help!

If the beer is over 1.050 or so, you should make a starter anyway so don't worry about smacking it and all that stuff. Just make the starter, and use it in the beer.

Pull it out and smack it when you get home from work, then set it on your counter until your starter wort is ready. I like to included all of the yeast and whatever-else-is-in-the-pouch/nutrients in my starters. Only cool your starter wort to 75F and pitch away.

I assume wednesday night the starter goes in the fridge until friday when you decant?

I assume wednesday night the starter goes in the fridge until friday when you decant?

I was going to put it in the fridge on Thursday night. Is that too long? From what I'd read I thought I should let it go 1 to 2 days.

I don't have a stir plate (for now anyway), so I'll just be swirling it when I can - if that makes any difference on how long I should leave it out.

Thanks again for the help!

I was going to put it in the fridge on Thursday night. Is that too long? From what I'd read I thought I should let it go 1 to 2 days.

I don't have a stir plate (for now anyway), so I'll just be swirling it when I can - if that makes any difference on how long I should leave it out.

Thanks again for the help!

It really depends on how big the starter is, and how flocculant the yeast is. You can pitch the whole thing, normally, without any problem.

For a starter, you don't have to smack the pack first or let it warm up or swell. Just put the yeast in the starter. After it's fermented out, you can put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours, but it may not be completely done by then so you'll have to wait and see.

Back