First try at making cider - no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enemymine

Reaction score
Decided to try making a batch of hard cider this week for the first time, after doing only beer for the past few years. I used 3 gallons of local pasteurized cider (with no preservatives). Mixed with 3 crushed Campden tablets, 1 tsp Pectic enzyme, 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient, 1 tsp Acid Blend, and let sit overnight. The next morning (12 hours later), I pitched a packet of Cote de Blanc yeast that I mixed in a 1/2 cup of 100 degree water, as per the packet instructions, and poured into the carboy. Two days later, still no activity at all. Thinking of pitching another packet of yeast. Should I have waited longer before pitching after using Campden?

I would not have bothered with the campden, I would have just pitched the yeast into the 3 gallons. Also, did I read that right that you added campden and "1 tsp Pectic enzyme, 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient, 1 tsp Acid Blend" all at the same time?

Yes, I was following this recipe. Not a good idea?

It just seems odd to me to add campden (yeast inhibitor) and yeast nutrient at the same time. If I were to do the recipe, I would have put in the campden, waited 24 - 48 hours, then add the other ingredients. But like i said in my first post, I would have skipped campden entirely.

Back