First try at cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first go at cider not from a kit, so this is a bit of an experiment. I got a carboy full of fresh pressed, non pasteurized Annapolis Valley cider a couple weeks ago. I eliminated the wild yeast with campden tablets, added champagne yeast, and pectic enzyme to clear it. Bubbled like mad for about 10 days.
So, here are is my question. Is it too late to add brown sugar/honey to the mix? Or should I just continue on and see what happens. I didn't take any readings(foolishly), so I don't know what my numbers are. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Ps-love the forum

It's not too late, but I think I'd either split the batch, racking 1/2 onto the sugar/honey & leaving the other 1/2 as is; OR just ferment another batch & add the sugar/honey. If you do add more sugar, I also add a bit of yeast nutrient/yeast energizer too. Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Decided to leave well enough alone. Has stopped bubbling. How long should I keep it in the carboy before I rack it?
On a side note, I hope to get some fresh press pear from the same farm. Any advice on pear cider recipes?

Back