First try at blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackE1

Reaction score
This is the first recipe i have tryed to create. I have only done kits up until now.
I am trying to create a summer time light in color and easy and refreshing to drink. I think it will fall into the category of a lawnmower Blonde ale??
This recipe is for 5 gallon full boil batch.

4 lbs ultra light LME
1 lb 8 oz Honey
1 lb Crystal 15

1 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 60 min
0.5 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 20 min
0.25 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 10 min
0.25 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 5 min

1 tsp Irish moss @ 10 min
2 oz Lemon zest @ 10 min

Yeast cake from blonde ale (us-05)

I have a few questions. I would like to do a late addition of LME so i can keep the color light. If i add 2 lbs at the beginning will i still get good hop utilization? When do i add the honey? I was thinking of adding it at the last few min of the boil since i read on here that boiling honey is a no no. I plan to steep the crystal for 30 min at 150 to 160 in 1.5 gallon water.
My final question is about the yeast cake. I have never poured the wort right on the the yeast cake before. I also read that using a yeast cake is not the best due to the massive amount of cells and it will not produce the flavors that come from reproduction of the cells.

How do you guys think this will turn out?

Thanks

add the honey at the last 5 min, if you do a late addition, you will get greater hop utilization and actually increase the bitterness and youve got quite a bit of hopping going on to begin with. you should be fine with the yeast cake. i culture my own yeast and have never had issues with off flavors. the advantage of utilizing yeast cake is that you will have rapid fermentation and short lag time and that decreases the risk of off flavors from bacteria and other microbiobials that can infect beer prior to inocculation. the rest of your recipe and method looks fantastic. cheers!

I would consider adding 0.5lbs carapils/dextrine for added mouthfeel.

It's a little on the hoppy side, IMHO you could go down to 1.5oz but otherwise it looks good.

EDIT - You will definitely not have any issues with over-pitching by putting this on a US-05 yeast cake. Just make sure you use a blow-off tube and keep your temps down. You will have an explosive fermentation which will create a lot of heat.

I made a few changes due to the responses i have received. I added Malto-dextrin and i also lowered the hopping by half. I am now on the lower end of the blonde style hop range. Does this sound better? Also do i understand this corret that if you add lemon zest to the boil you will get slight flavor and slight aroma and apposed to adding to the secondary will add more aroma then flavor.

4 lbs ultra light LME
1 lb 8 oz Honey
1 lb Crystal 15
0.6 oz Malto-dextrin (or carafoam but no base malt to mash in)

0.75 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 60 min
0.25 oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 20 min

1 tsp Irish moss @ 10 min
2 oz Lemon zest @ 10 min

Yeast cake from blonde ale (us-05)

I'd add the lemon zest later if you want to get the aroma... At 10 minutes it will be 'for the neighbors', as Pierre Celis says. ;) I'd toss it in at flameout.

Should make a nice tasty summer brew.

sounds good it looks like i will have time on sunday to try this out.

Back