First Tripel - Kit Bashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
Howdy,
I just got my Belgian Tripel kit from Midwest, and I am already tossing ideas around to change it. I really want something at the high end of the OG for the style (1.095). However, the kit, as is, comes out with a 1.074 OG.

For the style, what is best to add to boost the fermentables and thus, the OG?
  • Candi Sugar
  • Dextrose
  • Extra Light DME
For me dextrose is easiest to come by, candi sugar can be made thanks to the Wiki article on HBT, and DME is kind of pain to get locally.

I can calculate the amount to add at tastybrew.com

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

One problem is the kit already has candi sugar, and you don't want to go too high on the sugars as a percentage or your fermentables. So you might need some extra DME as well. I don't think you really need candi sugar; table sugar would suffice.

The second issue is whether you'd need a little more hops to keep it balanced, although it's a lightly hopped style to begin with.

One thing you could do is just use the kit to brew 4 gallons rather than 5, or something like that. Less value for your money, but it would work.

To me the 4 gal seems like the most balanced idea. Or add a mixture of 75% DME, and 25% Sugar.

When I do Belgians, I like to use Demerara to stretch my fermentables. :D

Balance is an important aspect to remember.

When it's all said and done making a 4 gallon batch is probably the best idea. However, I need to crash and burn to learn; so I am going to try adding more sugars anyway. :cross:

In an effort to keep balance I will add a proportional amount of each ingredient, DME and candi sugar, in the same ratio as the original recipe.

The yeast is a wyeast 1214 activator. Definitely OK for a higher gravity, and I'll make a 2 liter starter for the wort. The kit also came with a T-58 dry yeast packet, and I am debating on pitching both...

I would go a little larger on the starter. Probably, start with a liter then step it up a couple times to get it to 3 liters.

I would advise not pitching the dry yeast also. You paid all that money for the belgian strain, let it do its thing.

I would advise not pitching the dry yeast also. You paid all that money for the belgian strain, let it do its thing.

Sound advice. Thanks. See, all I need is another brewer to tell me my ideas are stupid and I'll stay on track to make good beer.

I'll also make a larger starter.

There's a great podcast of the Jamil Show all about brewing Tripels you should give a listen to before you cook this guy up. He's got a LOT of great advice on situations like this.

Back