First transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
I will be transfering my first cider to secondary this weekend. Its been in for about 4 weeks now. Initial was about 1.098, and if its at about 1.010 or there abotu I will transfer. So from what I can gather all I do is transfer the juice to another carboy, leaving the yeast cake behind....and limit the amount of aeration. After, just install airlock and wait a few more weeks before bottling..or at least until clear.

Sound about right?

DS

That sounds right to me, but I just finished bottling my first batch. What did you use to get your OG so high and what yeast did you use?

I used 5 gallons of non-pastuerized cider, treated with 1/4 tsp of K-Meta, and about a teaspoon of Pectic Enzyme. Also added 1 Kg dextrose. A day later added a pack of standard Wine Yeast and airlocked. OG was high due to the dextrose I would assume. I wanted an alcohol boost so I used the dextrose.

Thanks !

You didn't actually say how you intend to transfer, so I would like to point out that you need to rack or siphon the brew. I would assume that is how you intend to do it, but thought it was worth mentioning before you just tried to pour it carefully.

Are you adding anything into the secondary? like fruit or something?

Just AJ and dextrose or really any basic version of cider doesn't need a secondary at all, I left mine in the primary for 2 months and it was crystal and clear and ready to drink 3 weeks in bottles.

Hey billy, I like your sig ha ha. So true!

Anyways, I don't think that a secondary is necessary for ciders like "Better Than Apfelwein" or Edwort's Apfelwein. They'll clear naturally within 2 months unless you've boiled your AJ, which may have set the pectins in apple juice, which will require additional effort to clear. Don't risk oxidization if you don't have to.

Back