First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickwitch

Reaction score
Hi this is my first time at making cider. I've used a cider making kit. It's been sat for 10 days an I've just tested it with a hydrometer an it's still reading 1.000 an smells abit. Does this mean ive done something wrong. Cheers mark.

Welcome man. Just a couple questions, may help us help you better.

What was your starting gravity?
What yeast did you use?
Is your cider clear or cloudy at the moment?
Any activity on top of your batch?
Can you descibe the smell? Sulfury/Rotten Egg? Alcoholic? Vinegar?

If you have had several days in a row (2-3) with the same SG reading, your fermentation is done. Yeasts tend to give off some smells, that is fine. Sounds like its time to rack to secondary(if you want it to clear) or back-sweeten and bottle if you dont mind a cloudy beverage. Mine end up clearing in the bottles anyway. (although it does leave more sediment at the bottom of each bottle, and could cause problems with taste if you are aging it)

Kentunkel said:
Welcome man. Just a couple questions, may help us help you better.

What was your starting gravity?
What yeast did you use?
Is your cider clear or cloudy at the moment?
Any activity on top of your batch?
Can you descibe the smell? Sulfury/Rotten Egg? Alcoholic? Vinegar?

Hi i used the yeast that came in the pack the cider is cloudy an the smell is kind of eggy not nice. There was froth on top but it's gone now. I didn't take a reading at the start. Cheers

I get the eggy/sulphur smell in my ciders too, not a problem, takes about 6 weeks before mine is cleaned up and tasty. It should fall clear when the yeast are finished up, unless you boiled your apple juice.

CollegeCider said:
If you have had several days in a row (2-3) with the same SG reading, your fermentation is done. Yeasts tend to give off some smells, that is fine. Sounds like its time to rack to secondary(if you want it to clear) or back-sweeten and bottle if you dont mind a cloudy beverage. Mine end up clearing in the bottles anyway. (although it does leave more sediment at the bottom of each bottle, and could cause problems with taste if you are aging it)

Hi cheers for that it's just the smells that worry me as its my first time.

Kentunkel said:
I get the eggy/sulphur smell in my ciders too, not a problem, takes about 6 weeks before mine is cleaned up and tasty. It should fall clear when the yeast are finished up, unless you boiled your apple juice.

That's ok then i was worried an thought i might have to chuck it. When do u think i should barrel it?

Back