First timer, Wonder if Im doing this right!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergmann

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time brewing cider / anything.

I am currently on day 5 of yeast pitch (6 gallons of fresh pressed cider from a local cidery - no preservatives, UV treated), here hows I got there.

Day... negative 0? - Crushed and put (6) campden tabs in the juice.

Day 1 - somewhere around 24 hours after campden, I added (2) 5g packets of EC-1118. (I slowly poured these in dry, I've seen suggestions of re hydrating and also going right out of the package) it was fairly clear at this point with a few inches of sediment at the bottom.

Day 2 - Big changes, about an inch layer of a froth on the top, looks like puke, yeast floating around. airlock bubbling every 10 sec

- within four hours the layer on the top had completely cleared and bubbling increased to 6 seconds.

Day 3 - Day 5 - Thin layer of foam on the top (not gross looking like the first time) bubbling increased to about every 4 seconds.

I'm on day 5 right now, theres been basically no changes since day 3. I've read a few different souces mention that days 3-6 should be bubbling every 1 -2 seconds, I'm no where close to this speed. Did I miss a step? or as long as it's going I'll just have to be patient?

I've read a couple different websites stating that bubbling should be finished after 1 week, I don't seem to be on track to be that quick.

I'm thinking, wait 2 weeks, rack into 5 gallon, and let sit for a month or so. Should that be the way to go? :confused:

EDIT: Actually the camped tabs were added about 2 or 3 days prior, it was the pectic enzyme I added the day before the yeast...

Last edited:
Best way is to buy a hydrometer (or refractometer) and be sure fermentation is done. But typically after 2 weeks it is done. After that, I would bottle.

My primary fermentations generally end in 3-5 days in a healthy fermentation, then I rack off of the gross lees (sometimes cider throws a LOT of lees!) into a carboy. Yours sounds on the same track.

Thanks for the input, sounds like everything is going smooth.

I'll have to invest in a hydrometer at some point soon and the temp as been probably within 2 degrees of 70 in either direction.

So, lets say I put into secondary after 2 weeks and let sit for about a month and then bottle. Would it be okay to drink right away & within a week of bottling? (I'm trying to reach a goal of having some ready for christmas for family to try)

Thanks for the help!

Back