First timer screw up? No Signs of Fermentation after 4 days in 5 gallons of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie_G_Sonoma

Reaction score
Hello,
First time attempt to make cider and while I feel I follow the steps to a tee, I am seeing no signs of fermentation (well ok, 1 bubble on top of the juice) after 4 days. I end up with a little less juice than I had planned after letting the sediment settle out and moving just the clear juice into my carboy, so there is more room at the top of the carboy than I had planned, but nothing I've read indicates this would prevent fermentation from starting.

- While the apples were from my own orchard, I follow all the steps to sanitize (camden tablets, etc).
- 6 gallon carboy, but probably closer to 5/12 gallons of juice in it (due to letting juice sediment settle out before moving to carboy; I actually filled 7, single gallon containers over several days of juicing, added camden tablets and let sit to try to reduce natural yeasts)
- I used 5 gram package Lalvin E-1118 yeast and pitched in directly in to filled carboy.
- The carboy was bunged and bubbler inserted right after pitching yeast. I used vodka in the air-lock.
- I am storing the brew in a walk in wine cellar which remains between 59-61 degrees Fahrenheit.

So, should I try pitching additional yeast?
Should I move the brew out of the walk in wine cellar? I had read that cooler/stable was preferable but could slow the process (which I understood to be a GOOD thing).

First timer in need of advice!
Thanks all!

Before I go guessing why it isn’t fermenting, what kind of airlock are you using? You said bubbler so I imagine the S-type one rather than the 3-piece. If you used the 3-piece, it won’t “bubble” unless filled to the fill line with vodka. That will make it seem like it’s not fermenting.

Now, assuming you’re all good there, have you checked the gravity to see if it’s fermenting and you just aren’t getting a good deal on the bung? What was the gravity when you started? Most apple juice is in the 1.050-1.055 range if you didn’t add any additional sugars. That’s the most common situation.
Also, did you use any additional nutrients? Not sure it’s entirely necessary to *start* fermentation, but could help it finish. Did you aerate the cider before pitching the yeast? Either shake it up really good or use pure o2?

Just as a side note, many argue that you should rehydrate those packets of yeast using a product like “go-ferm”, just as a note for next time.

Thanks for input!
I have an S-shaped bubbler, not a 3 piece. I did film the bubble to the lines with vodka to create the lock.

The gravity was 1.049 and I added some honey to bring that up a bit.

I did NOT air-ate the juice however nor did rehydrate the initial yeast, but I went ahead and added 1 1/2 more grams Sunday night and I DID rehydrate that.
I’m out of town for the week so didn’t want to wait a full 7 days without taking action.
Will let you know how things look when I get back.

Thanks for input!
I have an S-shaped bubbler, not a 3 piece. I did film the bubble to the lines with vodka to create the lock.

The gravity was 1.049 and I added some honey to bring that up a bit.

I did NOT air-ate the juice however nor did rehydrate the initial yeast, but I went ahead and added 1 1/2 more grams Sunday night and I DID rehydrate that.
I’m out of town for the week so didn’t want to wait a full 7 days without taking action.
Will let you know how things look when I get back.
Sounds good - hope your gravity check showed you fermented fully!

Back