First timer needs help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrien

Reaction score
Hi there.
Just started my first attempt at cider making (uk).
I had to mill and press my harvest as was starting to turn. However I have done this and realised I don't have my campden tablets. There in the post but have been delayed.
My question is can I store the juice in the refrigerator for a couple of days until they arrive and then start the process? It wont affect anything will it?
Adrien.

That will slow fermentatin down considerably. You may find that the naturally fermented product actually tastes very good.

I was looking to stop fermentation temporarily. Whilst I wait for the tablets. Then start the process with the yeast etc.
But was wondering if by doing this I was jeopardising my brew.

When I was a kid, every once in a while our refrigerated juice would turn 'sparkling', all on it's own. To stop completely you have to freeze or pasteurize, but the colder you keep it, the slower it will ferment, and the more sugar will be left for your cultured yeast.

Sodium metabisulphite has just turned up. I assume I need to bring the juice upto room temperature before I add
1 sodium metabisulphite
2 pectin enzyme
Here goes nothing.

Latest posts

Back