First Timer, Carboy top blew off??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick-Ales

Reaction score
Hey everyone, name's Clark and im one of many from what it looks like to pose a first timer question. So I dropped some money and bought a really nice kit along with a solid first recipe for an IPA. Everything went fine (I think) until we got it into the carboy and started letting it ferment, about 5 days later i woke up, checked it, and the top to the carboy had blown off. I was using one of these:
bbwineweek1f.jpg
but I think im missing a bell shaped piece for it. I put everything back on and everything seems fine now, is my beer contaminated now? how resistant is it to microbes during the fermenting stage?

Your ok. Happens a lot. Let it spew out the top and then put a blow off tube in it's place.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Hey maverick...ummmm if you using that carboy for a primary fermentor....well then you need a bigger vessel.....something 6.5 gallons...if that is a 5 gallon batch...you need more headspace for the krausen (foam), that looks a bit small....Tom

Picture not working in my phone but ya.

As has been said you need a much bigger fermenter. 1 1/2 gallons headspace is usually a good target. Your next experience otherwise will involve you cleaning beer off of your ceilings and walls... anything within 20 ft. Don't ask how I know but I made a great Russian imperial stout that I called Russian Ceiling Stout. But yeah your beer should be fine.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks guys, that picture is actually just something i pulled online to get a good picture of the type of top im working with. Im doing a 5 gallon batch and im 99% sure its a 6.5 gallon fermenter because i have alot of room for the foam. thanks for the responses guys! glad to know im not totally screwed on my first batch lol, @ mrduna01 that ceiling stout sounds like a pretty fun brew hahaha

Glad to hear lol. As a rule since that stout I do a blow off tube the first four days give or take on EVERY beer! Keeps me AND the wife happy.

So many beers... so little time.

After my last 2 blew the tops off and spewed all over the basement I gave fermcap a try in the latest batch.

Glad to hear lol. As a rule since that stout I do a blow off tube the first four days give or take on EVERY beer! Keeps me AND the wife happy.

So many beers... so little time.

Yeah even with 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy I still get a ton of krausen on some beers. The womenfolk love the beer, but not when it is spewed all over the house...

Guess who joined the Carboy Bung Rocket Club today...?

On my way home today, my wife said she'd heard "water running" from the closet and entered to find wort on the floor and walls. Awesome.

Thanks for the answers above. I have an empty 6.5-gal carboy I guess I should have used instead. I StarSan'd the bung and ran a blow-off hose. I hope this batch turns out OK.

My Irish Stout popped it's top last weekend also...I think the house got too warm. I had to rig a blow-off tube for the first time with that batch!!

At least not a ceiling stout!! LOL :D

My Irish Stout popped it's top last weekend also...I think the house got too warm. I had to rig a blow-off tube for the first time with that batch!!

At least not a ceiling stout!! LOL :D

Funny my Irish stout is starting to spew from the top...

Back