Quantcast

First timer broke his hydrometer!?!?!?!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MediaMikes

Reaction score
That being said, what is the safest period of time it is to assume that fermentation is complete. I plan on racking to a secondary carboy, but beginning Thursday I will be out of town until the following Tuesday. I made the brew on Thursday and racked to the primary at 9:30 PM and the noticeable fermantation started taking place on Saturday morning. I think it would be fine to leave in the primary until I get back from my business trip, but I don't want to take any chances. Also, I would rather leave the secondary for the clearing part of it and not secondary fermentation.

Would it be okay to wait or should I rack to the secondary before I leave town. Especially since I don't have a hydrometer and now access to a LHBS (I live in Amarillo and don't have one)?

Blender

Reaction score
You will be fine just leaving in the primary. I go 2-3 weeks in primary and for the last 3 batches I didn't even use a secondary. If you order today you might have the hydrometer when you return.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually leave my brews in the primary fermenter 2-3 weeks. That is a pretty good time period. And then in the clearing vessel for 2 weeks to a month or so. You can do it longer if you need to, though.

eschatz

Reaction score
i'm on my 4th hydro in 4 years. i always break those damn things! i need a plastic one... is that even possible?