First time yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpaulab

Reaction score
I'm trying to pitch yeast in my first batch of beer. I'm using a Belgian Wit kit. Last night I made the wort and misread the temp. The thermometer read 77 degrees but when I stirred the wort the temp went back up to 81. So I had already added my dry yeast to water and ended up not pitching the yeast before I went to bed. I left the yeast in the water in a bowl overnight and it appears to still be active. I even added a teaspoon of sugar just to check and there is definitely activity. Can I go ahead and add this to my wort or has it spent too much time open to the air?

Try not to leave yeast uncovered while its hydrating.

Chances are very good that nothing is wrong with it. Unless you live in a barn with lots of germs and critters, if it were me I'd pitch it (add it to the wort...not throw it away.).

That's no gurantee, but there hasn't been enough time to have that yeast mutate into anything unwanted.

Remember that next time you use a Wit yeast, higher temps are just fine. I think you could have pitched with no problems.

also, next time you need to leave hydrated yeast out in the open, put some tin foil over the top of the jar for insurance against airborne contaminents.

any simple thing you can do to remove potential for contamination is worth it, including washing your hands and cleaning the countertops of your brewing area/kitchen with a bleach cleanser (Clorox kitchen & bath is my favorite for counters)

Did you cover them?

If so you might be fine. If not they're almost definitely contaminated with bacteria by now.

Back