First time with WY1010... recipe ideas? commercial examples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a smack pack of WY 1010 American Wheat in my fridge that I should use up before it passes its' prime...

First - I've never used this before - any good examples of what fermentation characteristics I can expect from it?

I've seen a couple references to Bell Oberon clones as well as maybe a Gumball Wheat clone... I've never had the latter, but I had Oberon once, I don't remember much about its' taste - which, for my palate, I guess is pretty characteristic for any wheat beer. Spend too much time swallowing it to taste it. ;) ... but what other beers are also a good example of how the 1010 will ferment?
(Edit: I just read on another site that 1010 is allegedly the Widmer strain. True? False? I find Widmer Hefe to be a reasonably solid drinkin' beer, no complaints there!)

Second - I've seen a lot of horror stories, as I search old threads... some say that it throws off a lot of sulfur if you go too low in temp (should not be an issue, as it's summer, and even my basement won't go below 60*F) -- but I've also seen reports that it throws sulfur when you go too high in temp as well (this is a much bigger concern, my counterflow chiller stops at about 71*F in this weather, and I have to let it sit in the cold corner of the basement for a couple of hours to come down to mid-60's before I pitch).

What's the best way to ferment it? Try to nail it into place at 63-64*F? Should I try to warm it up at the end? Or stay constant at 63-64*F all the way thru kegging?

How long should I let it go in primary? Is 14 days enough to clean up the sulfur character, should it develop any? Or should I consider 21+ days in primary before kegging it?

Lastly - any of you have suggestions for a bomb-a$$ recipe using 1010? I'd love to see what you have.

I've brewed a lot of styles but wheat is something that I've barely scratched the surface of. I got interested in something else shiny (rye malt!!) and wandered away from it - now I have like 8# of wheat malt lying around in a storage bin that I need to use up.

Peace out y'all - Chriso

I'm thinking something like...

4.5 LB Pale 2-Row
4.5 LB White Wheat Malt
4 oz Caramel 40*
4 oz Caramel 60*

1.049 / 6.6 SRM

but I'm not sure what I want to hop it with.

Choices:

American: Chinook, Amarillo, Galena, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace, Citra
Euro hops: Hersbrucker, Fuggles, EKG, US Goldings, Millennium, First Gold
Waiting-In The Mail: Nelson Sauvin, Summit, Perle

Suggestions? :fro:

Style is up to 30 IBU but with the commercial market's slow creep into "Wheat IPA" and "Hoppy Wheat" styles, I think we could justify going over 30.

sorachi ace, citra, and some lemon peel? Sounds like a nice wheat to throw a lemon in when serving??? But watch out for all the, "keep your fruit out of my beer" guys! ;)

Would you back it with anything else for bittering? Maybe the Galena?
Or would you just do 50/50 on each addition? e.g. 0.5oz Citra/0.5oz Sorachi for bittering, 1oz/1oz for flavor/aroma.

I usually think that the bittering doesn't matter so much as the IBUs, but I'm still lacking true experience in the matter. I need to do some experimentation with two batches, equal in every way except the bittering addition. So much to brew, too little time! Looks like you got a ton of responses on F.B., man those guys know their beer! I'm surprised you didn't get more here...

Took some add'l feedback from our club Facebook wall, came up with this version of it:

4.5# Pale 2-Row
4.5# Wheat Malt
4oz Aromatic
2oz Acidulated

0.25oz Galena + 0.25oz Sorachi Ace @ 60 min
1.0 oz Sorachi Ace + 0.5 oz Amarillo @ 8 min
One small dish of fresh orange, lemon, grapefruit zest @ Flame-out, steep 5 min
.5 oz Sorachi Ace + 0.5 oz Amarillo @ Flame-out, steep 5 min.

1.048 OG / 4 SRM / 44 IBU -- except, the bittering hops are on the older side, so factor a bit of bitterness loss for age. So I'm going to call it 40 IBU. (It's probably closer to 35.)

I like this yeast a lot. My typical schedule is 2 wks at 67-68* and I do get sulphur early but it's always gone by the time I'm ready to transfer at 2 wks.

Okay! My yeast starter is working now, and I plan to brew this tomorrow (Fri.) night.

Here is where I'm at on my recipe tinkering process...

4.5# 2-Row Malt
4.5# Wheat Malt
0.5# Torrified Wheat
0.25# Aromatic Malt
0.125# Acid Malt (or 2 Oz)

Mash at 151 for 75 minutes.

60 Minutes - 0.25oz Galena, 0.25oz Amarillo
10 Minutes - 0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.25oz Sorachi Ace
Flame-out - 0.5oz Citra, 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.25oz Sorachi Ace, & frest zest of two oranges, one grapefruit, one lemon.

Ferment with 1L starter of WY 1010 for 14 days in mid-60*s, keg, cold crash, and carb for a week, aiming for 2.5 Vols CO2.

1.045 OG, 1.011 FG, 4 SRM, 36 IBU.

Back