First time with stirplate. Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdbrewer

Reaction score
So is this normal? yeast is Wyeast London ESB 1968. It's been going for about 12 hours.

I can't get the video to embed so here is the link. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant say if its normal or not but My Kolsch Yeast was similar, the chunks werent quite that big though. I'd say give it another 6 and see if you have more yeast then you started with :)

I've never used that particular yeast, but I had a starter with WLP 37 that looked just like that. After fermentation was done, I had what looked like cottage cheese left over.

I just brewed a RyePA with yeast cultured from Bells. This is the first time I have seen this 'cottage cheese' effect. It certainly looks gross but it tastes fine.

Perfectly normal. The more flocculant a yeast is, the more you'll get that clumping effect (that's actually what flocculation is - the act of the yeast clumping). That strain is Fullers' yeast, which is one of the most flocculant strains out there. Pitch it!

Back