First time with Secondary...few questions?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Hey,

I just raked to secondary 5.0lb glass carboy tonight. How much head space is ok? my batch made it up most of the way in the carboy, but there is still about 3 inches till the neck open.. is this ok?

Also, I used Starsan for the first time. when i sanitized the carboy, there was a lot of suds. I even rinsed it out once with boiled water but when I syphoned in the beer, there was still suds at the top? Is this ok, will they eventually go away during the next 2 weeks? My last question is the stopper doesn't seem to fit as well in this carboy as the one I used in my primary. I stuff it in there and it kinda comes back up some, not out entirely, but It still is in the mouth ofthe carboy, just not cramed in there, ok? Thanks. On one good note, my F.G. was right on and the beer, although flat, tasted awesome!!!!:rockin:

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
The headspace is OK because the yeast is still producing CO2 and will displace the air inside.

There was no need to wash the bubbles from the Starsan out. They won't harm your brew.

If your stopper keeps slipping out (up) take it aout and dry it and the mouth of the carboy. Pressing 2 wet and angled surfaces together doesn't work well together.

Congrats on the great tasting brew.:D