First time with Safale-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
I usually I use White labs and big starters (consistent 4 hour lag time), but my LHBS had sold out.

What's the typical lag time with Safale-05?

I pitched 2 packets into 5 gallons of oxygenated 1072 wort at 62 degrees without rehydrating. To avoid an extended lag time should I warm it up to 68, or just be patient? (I plan on fermenting at 65-66). It's only been 19 hours, but if this stuff usually takes more than 24 to start then that's going to make me nervous going forward.

Just be patient, I pitch US-05 yesterday (Saturday) at 5pm and woke up with a fermentation starting. Temp was about 68..... 2 packets will be golden, just cover it and walk away.... you will not be disapointed.

As always in this hobby, patience is so much more than a virtue. Off to a good start in 22 hours. I'll probably bring the temp up to around 68 towards the end, and if this attenuates to over 80% I'll be very pleased.

I have a question about pitching temperature and US-05. At 1:00pm yesterday I pitched 1 packet into 3.5 gallons on 1.049 at ~ 80F. The temp dropped to 70F by 8:00pm. This morning it is happily bubbling along at 66F, my target fermentation temp. Should I be concerned the wort was 70+ for 7 hours? From my recent listening of the Brewing Network, the temp held during the first 12-24 hours is critical. I'm thinking next time I will leave the chiller in the wort another 10 minutes to cool it further.

From my recent listening of the Brewing Network, the temp held during the first 12-24 hours is critical

Sure is. I was getting some bad off flavors from pitching too warm with WLP001 (same strain as Safale-05). My CFC gets my wort down to 86, and from there it's another 3 hours in a chest freezer to get it to 65 (I have a thermowell so I can get an accurate reading) before I pitch.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty confident that if you wait until the wort is below 70 before you pitch next time you'll notice a considerable improvement in the finished beer.

Sure is. I was getting some bad off flavors from pitching too warm with WLP001 (same strain as Safale-05). My CFC gets my wort down to 86, and from there it's another 3 hours in a chest freezer to get it to 65 (I have a thermowell so I can get an accurate reading) before I pitch.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty confident that if you wait until the wort is below 70 before you pitch next time you'll notice a considerable improvement in the finished beer.

Exactly; Higher pitching temp and not enough yeast could produce off flavors. I would wait until at least 72 and below before pitching. Place the carboy in the fridge while you are cleaning....

S-05, like all yeasts, will be a bit slow initially if pitched on the low end of the ale temp range as you did. But it WILL get going, usually within 24 hours, and it will be fermenting vigorously once it hits the mid-60's.

As for temp change during the lag and growth phase, I'm not sure, but I've read that a drop in temp during this time can increase ester and diacetyl production. Some people recommend starting warmer so the yeast get going quickly and then bringing the temp into fermentation range. Others recommend pitching below the target range and gradually letting the temp rise. And others just try to keep it 65-68 F the whole time. I have had good results with all 3 methods, but I try to pitch ales around 65 F and lagers around 50-55 F.

Sure is. . .

Thanks for the advice. The process improvements never end! This is the first time I've used a carboy thermometer and it clearly reveals one of my downfalls. Next month I will store the carboy in the keg fridge to MAKE SURE the temp falls to 66F before I pitch. I will also leave the chiller going for another 10 minutes. . .

Back