First time with Barley Crusher and BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
... should have done it a long time ago, finally bought a Barley Crusher.
So perusing through the forums... this seems like what I should do.

1) Condition the grain by spritzing with a little water and mixing it up abut 15 minutes before crushing.
2) Set the gap a little tighter than factory setting.
3) Run through twice?

Cheers

1. Conditioning the grain will soften and toughen the grain husks so they stay more intact, thus helping establish a good filter for draining the mash and sparge. It isn't necessary for BIAB as the bag forms the filter area. It won't hurt either if you feel like spending the time.
2. The crush of the grain determines the mash efficiency and the conversion speed. Tighter is better. A poorer crush can be somewhat overcome by mashing longer but there are limits.
3. If the crusher isn't tight enough, running the grain through a second time may crush it finer. I think there is a limit to how tight it can be and still get the grain to feed through right. See number 2.

I set my BC to a credit card thickness. I get a nice crush even on wheat kernels. I just crush once thru and my numbers hit close enough in Beer Smith. I've tried a double crush but ended up with more flour than i cared for.
You'll enjoy having a grain mill and being able to store and have grain on hand.

The crusher arrived, very surprised to see NB sent no instructions with it whatsoever. It is fairly self explanatory, but would have been good to have a simple slip that shows you how to adjust the rollers instead of going to youtube to find out myself.

Latest posts

Back