First time using star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebaynote

Reaction score
So everything i've heard says the foam is fine and it won't affect the taste of the beer etc. But, can there be too much foam? Trying to rack to my 2ndary and there is a lot of foam and I've waited 15 min. Thanks for help.

The Foam will break down and turn in to food for the yeast.

+10 to the 9th power on " Don't fear the foam" !!!!!!

-Jason

The foam still scares me...Maybe someday I will come to terms with it.

"but the foam keeps getting thicker and it just keeps getting harder and I'm falling into a deep well"

i used it for the first time racking my beer last night. lotsa foam... barefootbrewer said that's how you know it's clean when the foam is on it. turns into a yeast nutrient. can't beat that. makes me feel confident i did a good job cleaning.

My friend called my last night and asked if the foam would hurt botteling .

The foam is your friend!!

If the foam really bothers you, be more gentle with the starsan and it won't foam so much. Don't slosh, pour or shake; just swirl it around gently to coat the surfaces.

Nah, there's no need to worry....I never do, AND if you do it right it makes pretty spirals up your siphon hose while you are racking you beer.

foam1.jpg

Rather than being afraid, how about you edumacate your self...I put a lot of info and tips on sanitizing in this thread, including the legendary podcast with Chuck Talley the creator of Starsan....you'll find that the only reason you are worrying is because you are new to all this, NOT because starsan is dangerous if used properly.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question
:mug:

Back