first time using secondary...few mistakes & Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
well i racked my Scotch Ale (3rd batch ever) from my primary Ale pale to my new 6.5 gallon Glass Carboy. I made a few mistaks and just wanted some input as to how much, if any impact they should have on my beer.

1.) when i started my siphon, i forgot to clear out all of the sanitized solution from the tube before putting the end into my carboy. so, by the time i realized my mistake, the beer had already begun siphoning in as well. i'm guessing thats just a few ounces of sanitized solution in with my beer.

2.) with my carboy i got one f those 2-chamber bubbler airlocks. i filled the 2 chambers up to the lines, and placed it into the bunge, caried my carboy to th closet, and put it in a box to block light. when i looked down, though, the bubbler airlock was empty! the liquid must have drained into my beer somehow! so i poured some more sanitizer in to refill the bubbler...ugh. :drunk:

RDWHAH, yea...but i cant help but think about nasty sanitizer tainting my beautiful beer (which tastes grrrrreat as is)

It shouldnt ruin the batch. This will just remind you not to do it again.

- magno

Back