First time using Omega yeast. Slow start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried one of the Omega funk blends this weekend. Made 3 5 gallon batches all pitched with different sour strains, all pretty similar OG 1.049 to 1.060. There were no starters built for any yeast, but the two Wyeast blends were chugging away within 12 hours. The Omega blend has yet to make a bubble, well past 48 hours now. I roused the fermentor last night before bed, and still nothing. How long a lag does the Omega have. If I don’t see activity tonight I think I am going to have to go back to Wyeast, my normal company.

Last edited:
How are you judging activity, just the airlock or actually able to see the surface of the wort? If airlock, not sure that's the best indicator of activity... I have a couple of fermenters that don't entirely seal under pressure and they show minimal airlock activity. In my experience, Omega (at least Kveik strains) have been no less quick to start than others.

How are you judging activity, just the airlock or actually able to see the surface of the wort? If airlock, not sure that's the best indicator of activity... I have a couple of fermenters that don't entirely seal under pressure and they show minimal airlock activity. In my experience, Omega (at least Kveik strains) have been no less quick to start than others.
Glass carboys. I can see the whole 5 gallons. It appears nothing is happening.

These yeast labs promoting direct pitch are really doing home brewers a disservice. A starter should always be used in my opinion.

After 48 hours without s.g. change I would be thinking about pitching new yeast. Make sure the wort is in the temperature range of the yeast.

Which funk blend are you using? Where da funk is the only one they recommend for primary, do if it's one of the others, that may explain the slow start.

Which funk blend are you using? Where da funk is the only one they recommend for primary, do if it's one of the others, that may explain the slow start.
According to their description all three varieties have the same two saccharomyces var. diastaticus strains and only differ in the additional Brett strain, so they should all be equally suited for primary.

Of course with liquid (i.e. live) yeast from any supplier it's always possible to get a package that was somehow mistreated in transit or storage and is now no longer containing live yeast...

According to their description all three varieties have the same two saccharomyces var. diastaticus strains and only differ in the additional Brett strain, so they should all be equally suited for primary.

Of course with liquid (i.e. live) yeast from any supplier it's always possible to get a package that was somehow mistreated in transit or storage and is now no longer containing live yeast...
Yes. But. Bit o funk and bring on da funk also specifically say they are not suited for primary. Just because a sacc is present doesn't mean that there is enough for primary fermentation. It's likely just a very small cell count so that they can break down the long chain sugars for the Brett to eat. That way the product can be packaged sooner.

If there is a very low cell count, you're going to see a very long lag time with potential for off flavors and infections.

The information on their website is indeed conflicting. For #2 they write "Brett Blend #2: Bit O’ Funk contains the two Saccharomyces strains from Brett Blend #1 (OYL-210) for primary fermentation" but then they say it's not intended for primary fermentation?? Then what did they add the Saccharomyces for? Brett can ferment even unconverted starches so it wouldn't need any help from saccharomyces strains. This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

The information on their website is indeed conflicting. For #2 they write "Brett Blend #2: Bit O’ Funk contains the two Saccharomyces strains from Brett Blend #1 (OYL-210) for primary fermentation" but then they say it's not intended for primary fermentation?? Then what did they add the Saccharomyces for? Brett can ferment even unconverted starches so it wouldn't need any help from saccharomyces strains. This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

My assumption is that it is a poorly written sentence indicating that they are for primary fermentation _in the where da funk blend_. If there is an extremely low cell count, then it is definitely not suited for primary fermentation, as it is quite clearly stated.

Yes, Brett can feeling longer chain sugars without help... But it is notoriously slow (strain dependent of course). The use of diastaticus yeast alongside Brett in order to quicken the time to package is well documented on the Milk the Funk wiki.

There really isn't anything weird going on here. They are simply acknowledging low cell counts and stating proper use based on that.

Got it. Just poorly written communication on their part then.
Now for the OP to check if he used the right blend for primary...

All we know for sure is that 2 Wyeast blends and 1 Omega blend was used. Making inferences from that little information is impossible.

I thought I replied but I guess I didn't hit send.
Fairly (99%) sure I used the #1 blend OYL-210 where's da funk. It was fresh, I always check that before buying.

To make it clear, I made 3 batches of beer, and pitched 1 yeast into each, I did not blend the yeasts. The Rosalaire and 3789 Trappist each went into a beer, and both of those were working within 12 hours. The Omega in the 3rd batch has been dormant for over 48 hours, even after I gave the carboy a good shake. They are sitting in my basement, probably around a steady 18C, so it should be warm enough to get going.

If it is true about 2 of the 3 blends being for secondary fermentation only, it should state that clearly on the pack. I have never used Omega before and am unfamiliar with their yeast, so I just picked up a sour strain. I know for sure there was no mention of only being used as a secondary fermentor.

Sitting right beside a Wyeast 3789 that has the same temp range and that one is going strong. I will warm it up overnight, but think I might be re pitching this one. Planning on a sour with cherries, so I guess it can't go that bad, right?

Sour beer certainly isn't immune to problems.

Make sure the beer is good before adding fruit. :)

Well this yeast is certainly temperature sensitive. Moved it from the basement where it was at 18C to upstairs which is around 19-20C and it got going overnight. Still not an aggressive fermentation, but it is going now.

Well this yeast is certainly temperature sensitive. Moved it from the basement where it was at 18C to upstairs which is around 19-20C and it got going overnight. Still not an aggressive fermentation, but it is going now.

How can you be certain it was the temperature and not the lag time?

The fact that Omega lists the Brett strain first in it's descriptions of Where Da Funk (before the Sacch trois) leads me to believe that the Brett cells outnumbered the Sacch cells - it was probably as much Brett lag time as temperature. The other two blends lead with a Sacch primary fermenter. At any rate, glad it's going now.

On another note, I need to get me some Where Da Funk - sounds like it would be great in a modern quick sour!

Last edited:
New info from Omega:

At least regarding Bit O' Funk... The description part that says it shouldn't be used as primary was added to the website in error and will be removed soon. I don't have confirmation that this applies to Bring On Da Funk as well, but I suspect it does based on the wording of the statement.

Back