Quantcast

First time using Liquid Yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brew hoperator

Reaction score
This is my 4th brew and my first time using Liquid Yeast and I am impressed how fast and active the fermenting is going less than 6 hours from pitch. I used a smack pack with a starter and I am now sold.

Any new brewers that have not tried it should, I used the wiki article to create the starter. Very simple!

:mug:

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
Now that you have used liquid yeast save the yeast and use it on future batches.

fratermus

Reaction score
DrunkTrucker said:
Now that you have used liquid yeast save the yeast and use it on future batches.
Trying to get my thinking straight here as I re-enter the yeast resuse world.

When working with liquid yeast cultures and reusing them, do most folks:

* split the starter that was made from a liquid culture (pitch part into the wort, pitch the rest into sterile water or more starter and refrigerate)

* do the yeast-washing thing out of the primary, as demonstrated in the yeast-washing sticky?

Also, the agar slant approach seems to be a minority approach here. Is it just not worth the effort or are the slanters too busy preparing their beakers of media to post to HBT with wild abandon?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I usually just wash it after primary, unless I am making another batch right away to put on the same yeast cake.

I don't have the equipment I need to make slants, but I'm considering it. I don't have a frost free freezer, so I just haven't really made the effort yet.