First time using liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinehead131

Reaction score
Alright, I got a kit on the way (Belgian Witbier w/ White Labs Belgian Wit Ale 400)

I have never used liquid yeast before. This is the pitchable tube and I do not have any extra malt extract to use to make the starter.

Do I need to buy malt extract to make the starter or can I use some from the kit?

I assume I need to buy some for this.

I don't have a flask, what else can I use to make the starter?

Thanks!

you can use any vessel appropriately sized, glass would be preferable. a large jar of some sort, an old juice/wine jug, growler from your local brewpub, something like that. you could use some of the ME from the kit, but if you can find some without much trouble, just get a big bag of it to use for starters.

yeah any vessel will do for a starter. Before I got a flask I used to use an old juice bottle with tin foil over the top.

Making a starter is definitely your best bet, but, if you can pitch white labs direct from the tube in a pinch. I did this for many batches of differing gravities without issue. Though, definitely not recommended for high gravity beers.

Since the starter would take 1-2 cups (depending on size), I don't think I'd borrow from the kit (though you could).

Do you have an empty growler handy? You could use that for the starter. Or, any bottle really that you can rig up some type of airlock on.

I use a cleaned and sanitized Ball jar, but any pitcher would work. I loosely cover the top with tin foil. I give it a shake/swirl everytime I walk by it for a couple of days and then it's ready.

The other option is to not make a starter. Its better to make one, but many of us have made fine beers with just pitching it straight from the tube. One of my first batches was an extract Belgian witbier with the White Labs yeast pitched without a starter and it turned out fine.

I just finished brewing a chocolate stout on Saturday. I used White Labs WLP011 and per the instructions on the bottle and the recommendation of the guy at my LHBS, I just let the tube sit at room temperature for about 6 hours and then pitched it straight into my primary. Blow off tube activity was evident about 24 hours later (it's really cookin' now)

So what exactly is the benefit of making a starter? Does letting the yeast come alive in an environment away from the beer prevent off flavors? Do you get better attenuation? I don't mind doing a little more work if there is a benefit to it...

I just finished brewing a chocolate stout on Saturday. I used White Labs WLP011 and per the instructions on the bottle and the recommendation of the guy at my LHBS, I just let the tube sit at room temperature for about 6 hours and then pitched it straight into my primary. Blow off tube activity was evident about 24 hours later (it's really cookin' now)

So what exactly is the benefit of making a starter? Does letting the yeast come alive in an environment away from the beer prevent off flavors? Do you get better attenuation? I don't mind doing a little more work if there is a benefit to it...

From what I have read, it increases the yeast count which will prevent off flavors due to "too little" yeast being stressed. It also allows for a better fermentation and ill reduce the chance of a stuck fermentation, especially with high gravity beers.

Alright, so I made a starter with 1/2 cup of LME and a liter of water, boiled for 10 min. Set in ice bath until it reached 80, funneled into a half gallon growler.

Here it is only a few hours later. Is this how it should look?

machinehead131

machinehead131

At what OG do you guys recommend using a starter vs. just pitching the tube?

Back