first time using glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
Hello all. I just brewed a 5gallon batch of a Bass type brown ale. I got two 6gal glass carboys for Christmas so I am using one for the primary.

My local brew shop gave me rubber bungs with a hole drilled in them for the airlock. I noticed yesterday that they say 6.5gal bung, however it seems to snug up pretty nice in the mouth of the carboy. Is this a bad thing?

I also pitched my Nottingham dry yeast pack through through the mouth of the carboy, some of the small yeast specks stuck on the glass on the inside of the neck. I didnt want to reach in and get them for fear of putting some germs inside the clean carboy.

Can these specks breed bacteria, or are they fine because they are locked in side the carboy? Thanks for any and all tips!

Thanks gents! The box for the carboy says 6, but the lady in the brew shop told her assistant to get her bungs for a 6.5 when I went in. There is also a pretty good amount of headspace, so maybe they are 6.5?

There is also a thick layer of krausen on top of the beer and some slow bubbling action, not even 24hrs! Thanks again.

I did not take a beginning reading because I could not find the turkey baster I usually use to draw the sample. Hopefully I am not breeding an explosive brew? :(

You're fine on both concerns. Don't worry about the yeast specks, they shouldn't affect anything. I use the same bungs for my 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon carboys. The openings are the same size.

If you get that yeast sticking to the neck of the bottle, I usually just put the plug in it (no airlock) and give it a gentle swirl. Mind you, it's in the sink, I don't lift it, and the sink prevents a shattered carboy on the kitchen floor. Or you can hydrate the yeast in warm water, and pour it in. Or you can leave it. It'll get enough in the mix, and do it's thing.

Pugilist said:
I did not take a beginning reading because I could not find the turkey baster I usually use to draw the sample.

If doing a full boil just drop your hydrometer into the brew pot once you have it cooled. Then you don't have to worry about losing the baster or sanitizing it.

Back