first time troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dweizel

Reaction score
i made my first batch of beer, using a kit. all went well, fermentation started within 10 hours, and seemed to be going along great. now, sunday morning, (i made the beer on friday afternoon) there are no more bubbles in the air lock. how could fermentation be done in such a short time? i followed all the directions closely and I spent lots of time reading books on home-brewing before i even bought my supplies and kit. thanks/dweizel

I've had many beers ferment out in 24 hours. Don't worry! Leave it alone for at least a week, because even if it's done (or nearly done) the yeast is busy cleaning up after itself- cleaning up it's own waste products and then dropping out of suspension.

As long as it's at a steady reasonable temperature, it's fine!

I posted a similar post on my first brew. I brewed, pitched my yeast and in 2 days my airlock stopped bubbling completely. The good people here advised me that all was well and so I left in in primary for 2 weeks. I bottled and all was well. ;)

get a hydrometer. gauging whether fermentation is done by the airlock is dodgy at best.
a hydrometer will give you straight facts.

Back