First time - Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floody

Reaction score
I just received all my equipment and need to buy ingredients for my first try at extract brewing this weekend.

I'm all ready except - don't know what to brew! For some reason the Elbro Nerkte recipe from Papazian's book caught my eye probably because of its simplicity. What does it taste like?

Does anyone have any other recipe for a first time brew? My all-time fave is Guinness but currently its Anchor steam beer.

Thanks!

FloOdY

Might I suggest https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/, just skip the Munich malt and make up for it with more extra pale if you cant find it.

6.5lbs Extra Pale LME
1.5lbs Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min

This recipe is super simple, very tasty and yields the advantage of being able to see what a single malt and single hop (LME and Cascade) taste like together.

Hi Floody, I asked the same question on these here boards a while ago, and someone recommended checking our Austin Homebrew's Clone beer section - they have a huge array of clone recipes and will freshly assemble the ingredients for you, whether you want all extract, min mash or all grain. I was quite impressed, both at their excellent instructions that come with each kit and the ease of use. I remember finishing and thinking "hmm that wasn't nearly as complex as I had thought".

This sounds like I'm applying for a job or a discount there doesn't it. I am.

+1 there. I'd go with a kit for the first couple brews until you get your proccesses down. Otherwise you are almost certain to forget something on your first brew. My first brew was just straight extract with one hop addition. it came out just fine.

I'm having the same problem... how do you choose your first brew. I went to my closest home brew shop and left empty handed because I couldn't make a decision.

I'm having the same problem... how do you choose your first brew. I went to my closest home brew shop and left empty handed because I couldn't make a decision.

Easy.
1. Pick your top 3 favourite beers of the moment.
2. Compare the Clone recipe instructions
3. Pick the easiest one (post them on this website if you're not sure which is the easiest)

boosh.

Easy.
1. Pick your top 3 favourite beers of the moment.
2. Compare the Clone recipe instructions
3. Pick the easiest one (post them on this website if you're not sure which is the easiest)

boosh.

If I told you guys what beers I mostly drink I'd be laughed at :D.

If I told you guys what beers I mostly drink I'd be laughed at :D.

Hey now, if you drink the beer you like then you must be drinking good beer. If nobody else likes what you drink then too bad for them!

Drink the beer you like, brew the beer you like, let everyone else taste your beers that actually turn out good:D

(I am kidding)

Back