First time NEIPA, recipe check/water advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Hi there. This weekend I was going to attempt to brew a NEIPA for the first time, and from what I've gathered, water is very important for this style. I have no experience with building water but Ive read up a bit and managed to get a water report for my city (Murrieta, CA). I'm a bit confused on using the water programs like Bru'n water to figure out what to add to the water to make it right. Any help would be appreciated! Just in case I included an image of my water report. Also here is the recipe, wanted to keep it fairly simple:

Recipe: NEIPA #1
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.41 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.66 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 11.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.9 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 19.0 %
0.25 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Hop 4 9.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 5 23.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 6 24.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 7 -
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 3.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.32 qt of water at 163.6 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

WATERREPORT.png

Howdy neighbor! I'm sure your water up the road isn't too far from ours down here in San Diego. That said, I have stopped trying to adjust water from the tap. I either use it as is or I start from scratch. There is just too much variability throughout the year to be sure what is exactly, or even approximately, in the water besides an averaged value. For example look at the range of some common ions adjusted in brewing water:

Sulfate 59-238 (that's a huge spread)
chloride:86-130 (not bad but still enough to be unsure about additions)
Sodium: 95-104 (that's pretty high for most brewing and could get dicey if certain other ions end up on the high end)
Calcium: 18-74 (from too low to good enough)
Alkalinity : 80-190 (hard to ensure appropriate mash pH if you don't know where you're starting with your waters buffering capacity)

Not trying to scare you away from adjusting your water. In fact, I'm trying to get you to embrace it since it can be another element to "make your own" when homebrewing. I am simply advising you to buy some distilled or RO water and start from scratch. If you have a decent scale (0.01g resolution <$15 on amazon) and a knowledge of what certain ions bring to the show (tons of info here) and here a little simpler) water adjustment is easy.

For now, start with something simple while you figure out how to work with water. Here is a simple solution to water for a NE IPA from a respected recipe. Put simply, 1 tsp CaCl2 + 1/2 tsp Gypsum per 5 gallons of water used.

As for the recipe, I think its a good starting point. I like splitting the adjuncts with equal parts wheat and oats I think the oats lend a creaminess that's really nice with this style of beer. I would sub flaked oats for the carafoam. I also like to use a mix of golden promise and 2-row for the base malt. Golden Promise because its a tasty malt and 2-row for the diastatic power. I also like a little bit of honey malt, especially if you're going to only use 2-row. It adds kind of a sweet flavor without the cloying sweetness of crystal. These are what I like from my experience. Again, I think your recipe will probably lend a tasty beer. Just some ideas.

good luck

I bet the water is a bit better down there, for sure the weather is haha. Yah I did notice the range and even with an average that's from accurate. I was thinking of just mixing RO and tap water since it looks like the tap isn't bad at all but I think your idea of just building from RO is better. I'm not aiming for perfect the first time for water and from what I gathered there's no set profile for the style so I think I'll try the simple solution first see how it turns out then adjust from there. I was thinking about honey malt too I actually used it in a couple other IPA batches I made and I did like the flavor. I may add it, but for sure I think taking the carafoam out and putting in oats is a better way to go. It is all about mouthfeel after all. I do wanna keep the recipe fairly simple, that way once the batch is done I'll know what to adjust, and Im sure I will split the main grains into 2 row and golden promise or maris otter. Thanks for the advice, I'll post the progress once I get around to it hopefully this weekend.

Latest posts

Back