First time Mead- please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corrections2010

Reaction score
hi all first time brewer and i have some questions im hoping someone can help me with. i have tried to find some answers but can't get anything definitive. I'm making a 5 gal batch of mead with local honey, i started it on 4/12/18 with a gravity of 1.126. I racked it on 6/12/18 and re-racked it on 8/8/18 with a gravity of 1.02, it has been in fermenting in my basement the entire time (temp. Around 68-70). My question is from what i understand with that gravity it should be considered a simi sweet to sweet wine but it tastes like paint thinner lol. I think it need back sweetened and i dont know how to go about it. Any thoughts or help would be great. thanks

Hey & welcome. Sorry to hear about your mead.

Paint thinner? Sounds like what is called "fusel" alcohol. When yeast are stressed they make some bad-tasting byproducts.
We avoid off-flavors by maintaining fermentation in optimal range, nutrient provision, degassing/buffering, and aeration. What yeast did you use?

Yeast produce heat during fermentation, so a 70°F ambient may have allowed the mead to rise as high as 75F or more.

More age should help. It might be better in 8-12 months or more. Reduce headspace as much as possible.

Consider making small batches, like one gallon, until you figure out the process for making good mead :)

Hey & welcome. Sorry to hear about your mead.

Paint thinner? Sounds like what is called "fusel" alcohol. When yeast are stressed they make some bad-tasting byproducts.
We avoid off-flavors by maintaining fermentation in optimal range, nutrient provision, degassing/buffering, and aeration. What yeast did you use?

Yeast produce heat during fermentation, so a 70°F ambient may have allowed the mead to rise as high as 75F or more.

More age should help. It might be better in 8-12 months or more. Reduce headspace as much as possible.

Consider making small batches, like one gallon, until you figure out the process for making good mead :)
Hello, so maybe not paint thinner but strong and and maybe soapy? Hard to describe just very strong alcohol flavor. I used bread yeast when I made it, I believe I used a joa recipe. There is almost no head space in it right now. As far as small batches I rolled the dice with it. I didn't want it to turn out great and only have 1 gal of it 7 months later.

What brand of bread yeast?

JAOM seems kind of hit-or-miss if you modify the recipe or process.

"Soapy" isn't good. It indicates yeast autolysis. That flavor won't "age out".
1.020 should be fairly sweet and balance the alcohol, combined with tannins from raisins, spices, & orange flavor/pith bitterness if you made JAOM.

When you say "I believe I used a joa recipe", that sounds uncertain.
Thinking this batch might be a lost cause.
Might want to read up on proper mead making processes!

I didn't want it to turn out great and only have 1 gal of it 7 months later.
Just scratching my head here.

:drunk:

... I did for sure use a joa recipe. The yeast I used was fleischmann, not the fast yeast just regular yeast. The only modifications I did was instead of using oranges I used cuties (a type of tangerine) other then that followed the directions to a T.
What brand of bread yeast?

JAOM seems kind of hit-or-miss if you modify the recipe or process.

"Soapy" isn't good. It indicates yeast autolysis. That flavor won't "age out".
1.020 should be fairly sweet and balance the alcohol, combined with tannins from raisins, spices, & orange flavor/pith bitterness if you made JAOM.

When you say "I believe I used a joa recipe", that sounds uncertain.
Thinking this batch might be a lost cause.
Might want to read up on proper mead making processes!

Just scratching my head here.

:drunk:

In that case, I'd just let it age more and hope for the best. It will probably improve with age.

Since bread yeast really wasn't made(bred/produced) specifically for fermenting, we can only expect so much. Lots of people making JAOM end up needing to let it age.

My advice above applies. Proper mead making procedures with reliable yeast and temperature control will yield more predictable, better results... With a mead more drinkable young!
BOMM is drinkable in a month.

Patience. Let it age for another year. It will get better. Not in the next month or two. 1 gallon batches are good to learn on. The lower the abv the quicker it ready.

Buddies made mead one time and was like gasoline. After a few years, definitely toned down.

Sorry I cant add much information but as a long time home brewer did my 1st mead attempt. 2gal, 5lbs honey, EC1118 Champagne Yeast with obvious fruit. Used RO water. Didn't think of nutrients. I use 1118 in all my hard Lemonades/Limeades without a problem up to 10%. Used combo of starsans and bourbon to sanitize. HB BA Quad shown.
20180811_145937_Burst01.jpeg

Last edited:
Back