First Time making mead - Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigern26

Reaction score
I made 3 1 gallon batched of mead. For 2 of them I heated 6lbs of clover honey with 1 1/2 gallons of water to about 120 degrees. Got the honey all dissolved and then split between 2 gallon glass jugs. Let cool to 70 degrees and split a packet of wyeast sweet mead and pitched into each jug. I used R/O water for all

I did this 3 days ago and there are no signs of activity. OG was 1.100

the 3rd gallon was store bought honey done the same way with 1 gallon of water. and I re hydrated d-47 yeast and pitched the whole packet. That one is cloudy and is bubbling slowly. OG was 1.080

Can I pitch D-47 into the ones that I already put the wyeast in?

Sure, but I would check with my hydro and check that no ferment is going on. You could also give it another day or so, just to be sure.

I my last batch of Wyeast sweet mead didn't really take off for me either.

I just shook the jugs to see if they would degas. The store bought honey and D-47 ended up fizzing out over the top. It went wild LOL.
The other 2 how signs of bubbles but nothing really came out of the air lock. I think I will give it a couple more days the check the gravity. If no change from 1.100 I will pitch D-47 into both jugs.

Did you use any nutrients? Because if you didn't then it's fairly normal to have a very slow ferment.

I did not. I meant to order some with my last order and must have forgot to add them to my cart.

Back