First time making Cider...Crossing my fingers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserz28

Reaction score
This is my first 5 gallon batch of apple cider, I went just a purest route and kept it simple and as cheap as I could. I bought store bought (Kirkland Brand) apple juice, I made sure it was just apple juice with no other additives and added to that;
- 3 - 14oz frozen apple juice concentrate cans
- 1 1/2 pounds brown sugar
- 3 cups of honey
- 3 cups of corn sugar

I am using a Nottingham Ale Yeast; Had a bit of trouble with the yeast starting up, I didn't have any yeast nutrient. Bought some today, added it and now the bubbles are going. I am planning on adding some spices to the secondary when it comes time to that.

Any tips or advice?

You've got a lot of sugar and water relative to the amount of juice. Three cans of concentrate that size makes little more than a gallon of juice. I think it will be rather tasteless. Fortunately, if it is disappointing, you can just add more cans of concentrate and let it ferment some more.

The last batch I made, I used ten 16 oz cans of concentrate, without any extra sugar.

Ok that is great advice. I didn't add any water to it. well I guess we will see what it tastes like, if I do not like it than it is a learning experience on a quest to make good cider.

Okay, I misread your post. I thought you made a 5 gallon batch from the 3 cans. But you started with juice and boosted it. It should be fine.

Back