First time lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76shovelhead

Reaction score
I have been all grain brewing for about a year now and want to try my hand at lagering. Does anyone have any thoughts on the simplest style of beer to lager and/or the most forgiving?

If you've been brewing a year, then lagering shouldn't be a challenge. Aerate well, pitch the right amount of yeast, and hold the temps. As a general rule, lower ABV beers are more forgiving of fermentation errors. More intensely flavored beers care more forgiving of minor issues.

I have an absolutely fantastic Maibock on tap right now. I don't know if it's any "easier" but it is definitely malty deliciousness

Anything hoppy or heavy! Doppelbock will cover up just about anything! Hops will cover up a lot but not acidaldahyde. DAMHIK!:D

I have been all grain brewing for about a year now and want to try my hand at lagering. Does anyone have any thoughts on the simplest style of beer to lager and/or the most forgiving?

Lagers aren't forgiving. That's one of the things that makes them fun to brew. Choose something you like and have at it. As bill suggested a good yeast pitch and temperature control are key.

Back