First Time Lager - Secondary Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all; I will be doing an intro as soon as I've posted this explaining about my experience however as for now the bottom line is I've brewed ales before but never a lager.

My issue is that I have completed my primary fermentation in near record speed. 8 days of fermentation resulted in an approx. 1.019 SG straw/amber liquid. I then added 3/4 cup of dextrose sugar solution to my 5 gallon carboy and resealed to allow secondary fermentation to begin. I have now reached my 6 day waiting to see secondary fermentation and have no signs of fermentation.

The longest i've ever had to wait to see signs of secondary with ales has been 2 days. I hope I haven't killed off my yeast or had an infection however I have no signs of infection; visual or scent. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone may offer.

BB

Its probably going to take a bit longer to see some activity than ales since lagers are fermented at cooler temperatures. I did a lager a month ago and Primary fermentation didnt even start until 4 days after i pitched yeast.

My issue is that I have completed my primary fermentation in near record speed. 8 days of fermentation resulted in an approx. 1.019 SG straw/amber liquid. I then added 3/4 cup of dextrose sugar solution to my 5 gallon carboy and resealed to allow secondary fermentation to begin. I have now reached my 6 day waiting to see secondary fermentation and have no signs of fermentation.

Curious - why are you adding 3/4 cup sugar for a secondary fermentation to begin with?

As to why it's not fermenting... what do you mean "no signs of fermentation"? What signs are you looking for? It's entirely possible the 3/4 cup sugar has been fermented without any visible signs, if you are just looking at an airlock.

Copenhagen Lager WLP850 White Labs Yeast
6.3 lb unhopped Amber malt extract (From local farmer's market due to special request)
2.0 oz hop pellets (Yet another special request from farmers market, should be similar to a Nuggest 11.4% ive been told.)
1.0 oz hop pellets - flavor (Willamette, 4.0% alpha, 10 min)
1.0 oz hop pellets - aroma (Willamette, 4.0% alpha, 2 min)

I used a dextrose solution to begin secondary fermentation as I have had success in the past with getting this to kickstart 2ndry.

Copenhagen Lager WLP850 White Labs Yeast
6.3 lb unhopped Amber malt extract (From local farmer's market due to special request)
2.0 oz hop pellets (Yet another special request from farmers market, should be similar to a Nuggest 11.4% ive been told.)
1.0 oz hop pellets - flavor (Willamette, 4.0% alpha, 10 min)
1.0 oz hop pellets - aroma (Willamette, 4.0% alpha, 2 min)

I used a dextrose solution to begin secondary fermentation as I have had success in the past with getting this to kickstart 2ndry.

Well, you definitely don't "need" a secondary fermentation, so adding the sugar is pointless. Actually, the point of the "secondary" is more of a bright tank for clearing and conditioning do you don't even WANT it to ferment. However, a tiny bit of sugar (3/4 cup is really a negligible amount anyway) won't hurt.

Typically, for a lager you will do the diacetyl rest when the beer is 75% of the way to Fg so if you're at 1.018 or so, I'd recommend doing the diacetyl rest now at 65 degrees or so. Since sugar was added, I'd keep it at the diacetyl rest for a bit longer than usual- even 3-5 days would be ok to make sure the beer is fully fermented out and that no diacetyl remains. Then, I'd rack to a carboy and begin lagering procedures. Lowering the temperature 5 degrees per day until the beer is at 34 degrees would be a good way to start the lagering now.

Diacetyl test proved negative. I am looking to bottle this brew however I could also lager in a carboy. I test bottled and began lagering a few bottles after primary fermentation and they are now looking a georgous amber colour. Could this be an indicator that I should begin lagering the rest of the batch now - whether carboy or bottled.

for some reason I am really confused by the lagering process you are using

Can you explain more about why you do this? Are you following some recipe or book? I'd like to understand more about what you are trying to do here.

Not following a book however I was taught how to brew in the UK by a friend of my father. He always added dextrose prior to a 2ndry fermentation however that was always with ales. This man was a genius as some of the beer he made was worth its weight in gold.

Latest posts

Back