First time lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglySister

Reaction score
I have a Summer Helles Boch that was supposed to ferment 10 to 14 days in primary at about 55°. I got mixed up and left it for 16 days. It is now supposed to be racked to secondary and cooled to around 35° for 3 to 4 weeks. My concern is, will there be any fermentation left to push the air out of the carboy? If not should I keg it, force the air out with Co2 and then leave it in there at the specified temp for 3 to 4 weeks? Thanks for your replies.

Once I am done with my fermentation, I put in the keg and give carb and let it sit my keezer to lager. After a few weeks, enjoy. Will only get better with age! :mug:

Go with the keg option.
+1^^^ this. Leave it in a cold keg as long as you can stand it. The only time I've left a lager alone in a keg without "sampling" it to death was an Oktoberfest I made for a local charity bierfest that I didn't touch for eight weeks (honest, I swear!) Otherwise, the very best pint of my lagers (or any beer for that matter,) seems to be the last one I get before the keg kicks. Ed
:mug:

So I racked straight to a keg from my bottling bucket (primary), hooked up Co2 @ 5 psi and released pressure 5 times to purge air leaving 5 psi at the end. I put it in my root cellar which stays pretty close to freezing this time of year. I'm going to try and save it for summer. We'll see if I can wit that long.

Latest posts

Back