First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently just keg my first beer. I siphoned 1.5 gallons of my russian imperial stout in a 1.6 gallon torpedo keg. I want to carbonate at 2.0-2.1 volumes of co2. Currently I have my keg chilling in my mini fridge, last time I checked the temperature in my mini fridge was 40 degrees. My goal is to have this beer to ready to serve for Christmas; therefore, I have 6 days to carbonate 1.5 gallons of my stout. I have never kegged a beer before so I do not really know or understand how to carbonate my beer. My questions are:

1) Starting tomorrow, I will add co2 to the keg, if I set my psi to 20 psi and let it sit for 5-6 days without shaking, will this be enough co2 to have this beer carbonated in time before Christmas?

2) After I have my keg carbonated, what psi should I use to serve at? If I am using a carbonation chart correctly, at 40 degrees to have my stout at 2.0-2.1 volumes of co2, I should set my psi at 7, am I correct?

3) Do I need the liquid ball lock with my faucet attached to the keg prior to carbonating? Can I add the liquid ball lock and faucet to the keg after I have fully carbonated the keg?

Thank you for the help, I am open to any recommendations.

Hello,

I recently just keg my first beer. I siphoned 1.5 gallons of my russian imperial stout in a 1.6 gallon torpedo keg. I want to carbonate at 2.0-2.1 volumes of co2. Currently I have my keg chilling in my mini fridge, last time I checked the temperature in my mini fridge was 40 degrees. My goal is to have this beer to ready to serve for Christmas; therefore, I have 6 days to carbonate 1.5 gallons of my stout. I have never kegged a beer before so I do not really know or understand how to carbonate my beer. My questions are:

1) Starting tomorrow, I will add co2 to the keg, if I set my psi to 20 psi and let it sit for 5-6 days without shaking, will this be enough co2 to have this beer carbonated in time before Christmas?

2) After I have my keg carbonated, what psi should I use to serve at? If I am using a carbonation chart correctly, at 40 degrees to have my stout at 2.0-2.1 volumes of co2, I should set my psi at 7, am I correct?

3) Do I need the liquid ball lock with my faucet attached to the keg prior to carbonating? Can I add the liquid ball lock and faucet to the keg after I have fully carbonated the keg?

Thank you for the help, I am open to any recommendations.

Here is a good thread for this that I follow. Pay special attention to the BierMuncher's post on 7-22-2008. I think your in good shape.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73328&page=2

Latest posts

Back