First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA Brewer

Reaction score
Well, got my kegerator assembled after using some Christmas giftcards, have brewed my Blanche de Chambly clone, and in one week I'll be putting it into my first keg.

I've decided on my personal force carb method, know how to break down and sanitize my keg, have tested my system for pressure and leaks, and am feeling confident. I do have some dumb questions left, though...

Once the beer is in the keg and has reached my desired serving pressure, do I leave the gas line open, or shut it off?

More as I think of them...

If you balance your system correctly, you can keep it at the same pressure. For example, I keep my kegerator at about 42 degrees, and with 7' of beer line, I can carb and serve at 12 psi.

I leave mine on all the time. I only have five feet of line going up to my taps, so at 39°F I have to store & serve at 9psi to avoid excessive foaming. Works fine, and I've grown to enjoy a slightly lower level of carbonation. (My recent trip to London helped in that regard.) When my lines need replacing, I'll add a few feet to give me more flexibility regarding pressure.

I leave the pressure on for the part of the system that doesn't have a leak I can't find! I've immersed the entire mess, regulators and all. Nada. Fortunately, that's only one of the four taps.

Back