First Time Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
I've done a bit of research, but wanted to get some reassurance from other individuals before kegging my first beer. It's an American IPA fermented for 15 days then transferred to glass carboy and dry hopped for 10 days(didn't get the corny kegs till this past weekend). The keg has been cleaned thoroughly.

After I sanitize I'll siphon the beer into the keg and attach the lid. After this it looks like I need to add some CO2 to fill up the head space and seal it. How much CO2 in PSI do I use and how long do I keep it at that number? After it's sealed, do I just drop the pressure, using the release vale to the PSI required to meet my desired volumes of carbonation?

The keg will be kept in my basement, which is about 57F, as I don't have room for it in a fridge. I was shooting for 2 volumes of carbonation so using this chart http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html it looks like I would set the PSI to 15. After I do this, how long do I keep the keg connected to the CO2? Do I simply leave it connected and try it once a week until I feel it has reach my desired carbonation? After it's carbonated can I disconnect it, then just reconnect it when I'm ready to drink from it? I'm not sure how long it usually takes to carbonate, but I was hoping to have it ready in another week and a half for a xmas party I'm attending.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Good stuff!

After you rack the beer into the keg and hit it with CO2, make sure you don't hear anything leaking. Unhook the gas and pull the pressure release valve on the top of the keg to help purge the O2 from the headspace. Hook the gas back up and hit it again. Some folks I know suggest to leave it for a half hour or so to settle in the headspace, then pull the gas and purge again.

The sticky on the kegging section has some charts that show how long the set-it-and-forget-it method takes to fully carb up a keg...I don't recall exactly how long it takes, but in my experience, a week and a half should result in a good drinkable beer that is mostly carbonated.

a week and a half should be enoughtime with 15 PSI.When you first connect gas you will hear the keg fill up and then stop,after this, hit the bleed valve on keg,this will push out any oxygen that was in headspace above beer in keg,I usally do this 2x to assure CO2 in keg and no O2.Good luck

They answered well. Just put the CO2 at 15psi let it sit on the keg for 5-10 seconds, turn it off, release pressure in keg, and repeat 2-3 times to remove 02 from the keg. Than turn the gas back on 15 and let it go for a week and try it. BTW, at that temp you may foam a little more than normal when you pour. There are a few tricks that help a little.
-longer beer lines
-raise the tap up as high as you can when you pour (creates resistance in the line slowing the beer down slightly)
-pour into a glass/growler that is colder than the beer itself
-release the pressure in the keg, and pour, you can pour several beers this way, and when it starts to slow hit it with a little more CO2. (make sure you put it back to 15 when you arre done, or the beer will slowly go flat on you
I've been keeging for 6 months with no fridge, it works fine, you just have to adjust for temps, you'll get used to it, and it's sooo much better than bottling. Cheers!

They answered well. Just put the CO2 at 15psi let it sit on the keg for 5-10 seconds, turn it off, release pressure in keg, and repeat 2-3 times to remove 02 from the keg. Than turn the gas back on 15 and let it go for a week and try it. BTW, at that temp you may foam a little more than normal when you pour. There are a few tricks that help a little.
-longer beer lines
-raise the tap up as high as you can when you pour (creates resistance in the line slowing the beer down slightly)
-pour into a glass/growler that is colder than the beer itself
-release the pressure in the keg, and pour, you can pour several beers this way, and when it starts to slow hit it with a little more CO2. (make sure you put it back to 15 when you arre done, or the beer will slowly go flat on you
I've been keeging for 6 months with no fridge, it works fine, you just have to adjust for temps, you'll get used to it, and it's sooo much better than bottling. Cheers!
That sounds about right...once you keg never go back to bottles again...best thing I ever did...hmm making me thristy!!!! :mug:

Back