First Time Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdsarch

Reaction score
Okay, so I am taking the plunge into kegging. My keg system is on it's way, and I am brewing a nice amber beer this weekend.

Kegging the beer appears easy enough. I just have one question. Are there any special procedures to perform to get clear beer?

Do i rack right from the secondary into the keg? I was thinking about racking from the secondary into another carboy. And then putting that in the fridge for a few days to have most of the particles drop to the bottom. Then I would rack the final beer into the keg.

Does this sound like too much work?

Just wondering.

Racking from a secondary should be enough. I just started kegging and my first 2 kegs are very clear even without a secondary. You will still need to age it for the best experience. Kegging is good.:)

You could certainly cold crash it if you wanted to to make it even clearer. I just go to keg right from secondary and I'm pretty happy with the clarity of my beers. Of course secondary for me is usually 3-5 weeks depending on when a tap becomes available, but even if you have you beer in secondary for 2 weeks that's plenty of time.

Blender said:
Racking from a secondary should be enough. I just started kegging and my first 2 kegs are very clear even without a secondary. You will still need to age it for the best experience. Kegging is good.:)

+1. I racked straight from the primary and have racked from the secondary. Both came out great, but you still need the time for aging..

Back