First Time Kegging - CO2 Constantly Running

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler.W

Reaction score
I am trying to carbonate some water and am hearing the tank continuously running. When I take the gas valve off the keg it stops, but I cannot see or hear any leaks in the keg. Is this normal since it is starting to absorb CO2 or is this a sign of a leak?

EDIT: This is a used keg with the original poppets, and it seems the gas post is worn. If the ball connector is on just right it’s fine, but if it gets bumped it starts a very slow leak. Looks like I’ll be replacing the poppets.

Last edited:
In the beginning, when you attach the QD, there's a fierce stream of CO2 being pushed into the headspace, until it's pressurized. After that, it's only a small amount streaming in as it slowly carbonates your water. You should not really hear it.

First inspect or replace the o-ring around the gas post. Make sure it's the right size too.
The o-ring around the post is the seal between the post and the QD.

Rub a little keg lube on the o-ring (or use Vaseline, in a pinch) to help slide the QD over the o-ring.
Spray/dab some soapy water, Starsan solution, or bubble juice around the post/QD connection to check for leaks (bubbles).

Mind, once you press the QD onto a post, the poppets have absolutely no function. They're both in open position, so gas (or liquid) can stream through the passage.
IOW, the poppets are just small valves. When you remove the QD, the poppet quickly seals the opening (it's spring loaded). That's their only purpose.

If that post, especially the groove, is dented, burred, or otherwise damaged, the o-ring may not quite seal.
Inspect that.

First inspect or replace the o-ring around the gas post. Make sure it's the right size too.
The o-ring around the post is the seal between the post and the QD.

Rub a little keg lube on the o-ring (or use Vaseline, in a pinch) to help slide the QD over the o-ring.
Spray/dab some soapy water, Starsan solution, or bubble juice around the post/QD connection to check for leaks (bubbles).

Mind, once you press the QD onto a post, the poppets have absolutely no function. They're both in open position, so gas (or liquid) can stream through the passage.
IOW, the poppets are just small valves. When you remove the QD, the poppet quickly seals the opening (it's spring loaded). That's their only purpose.

I ordered a new set of o-rings and replaced them. I also rubbed some keg lube on the o-rings to no avail, but maybe I need to try more in the morning.

I may have mispoke earlier, I meant maybe the posts are worn, but that seems unlikely. Is that even really a possibility?

Are you talking about the groove the o-ring sits in?
Yes!
The o-ring should fit just inside the groove, neither overstuffing it nor being loose. The outside edge of the o-ring should protrude a small amount outside the groove, being only slightly larger than the post. That's how it makes the seal there with the QD.

When you're testing make sure your keg is full of water, except for about a pint to a quart of air in the headspace. That way you won't waste as much gas while tinkering and re-pressurizing.

Yes!
The o-ring should fit just inside the groove, neither overstuffing it nor being loose. The outside edge of the o-ring should protrude a small amount outside the groove, being only slightly larger than the post. That's how it makes the seal there with the QD.

You sir are a legend, thanks for the help! I had replaced the o-rings with new ones to be safe... and it looks like that was the issue. The new o-rings seem a little large/less snug than the old ones. I threw the old one on the gas post and I can wiggle the disconnect without any leak. The CO2 noise has disappeared too.

Is your water ice cold already? That's best, ice cold liquid carbonates better, faster.

You can burst carbonate by rolling/rocking the keg by laying it on its side, with the gas post/QD pointing straight up (in a 12 o'clock position).
Put a towel underneath and roll the keg about 60° each way, away from you and then back toward you. The gas post/QD will be moving between 10 and 2 o'clock on each rock/roll cycle.

You'll need thin, long lines to keep the water carbonated while dispensing. Pressure between 30 and 60 psi, probably, not sure, much higher than beer.

Is your water cold already? That's best, cold liquid carbonates better, faster.

You can burst carbonate by rolling/rocking the keg by laying it on it's side keeping the gas post/QD pointing up (in a 12 o'clock position).
Put a towel underneath and roll the keg about 60° each way, away from you and then back toward you. The gas post/QD will be moving between 10 and 2 o'clock on each rock/roll cycle.

It is slightly chilled and cooling in the fridge now.

Thanks for the tips on burst carbonating. I did give it a few shakes (upright, rocking a little) with the gas connected and didn’t see any water backflow. Should I never shake (not roll) with the gas line connected?

Should I never shake (not roll) with the gas line connected?
Burst carbonation relies on rolling or shaking while gas is applied. I find rolling the easiest, with the gas post pointing upward. As long as the gas pressure coming from the regulator is higher than the pressure inside the keg, gas will go in one direction into the keg, preventing water (or beer) from going back up the line. So make sure that's the case.

If you just let your keg sit under pressure without agitation, it takes 1-2 weeks to carbonate. Burst carbonation (rolling) can be done in 10 minutes. You'll hear the regulator groaning as gas is being pushed into the keg and absorbed/dissolved. The larger surface (from lying on its side) and the continuous agitation forces the gas into the water/beer, instead of relying on mere diffusion.

Some use a carbonation stone on a long gas diptube to quickly carbonate a cold keg of water.

when i'm burst carbing by weight, i shake rattle AND roll, any way i can get it to take co2! :mug:

anything i need to do to keep the regulator purring till i reach my desired weight.
Someday we should record and post some videos showing our burst carbonation methods. ;)
I'll do the rolling demo.

At a very classy, $$$ beer serving event (black drapes, gowns and suits, dimmed lights) our club had 10 or 12 taps, serving our very best homebrew. A keg with Hefe must have had a small gas leak, it was... flattt! There's no way we would serve it that way. So I rolled that baby to perfection, while they're all standing around in amazement, looking at me, probably shaking heads. It started out a little foamy coming out of the jockey box first, but by the time the event opened, with the right balance of serving pressure applied (we put it on its own CO2 channel), no one could tell. It poured beautifully and tasted awesome. Keg kicked!

no need, i can some it up with a meme!

1602566186361.png

really feel the burn that last 0.3oz's...it really doesn't want to take it! but you really have to give it the back and forth! i've tried it on it's side, upright, everything, it just takes work.

Someday we should record and post some videos showing our burst carbonation methods. ;)
I'll do the rolling demo.

Excellent idea! When doing the shake, rattle and roll method what should the regulator be set at? 30psi? Also, I'm only assuming it is implied that the liquid QD is disconnected? I've never burst carbed anything and am hosting an event this weekend where I said I would have a cider on tap that is still sitting in secondary...and my keezer rebuild is still scattered all over my dining room table lol. HELP!

Excellent idea! When doing the shake, rattle and roll method what should the regulator be set at? 30psi? Also, I'm only assuming it is implied that the liquid QD is disconnected? I've never burst carbed anything and am hosting an event this weekend where I said I would have a cider on tap that is still sitting in secondary...and my keezer rebuild is still scattered all over my dining room table lol. HELP!

i burst carb at 50psi, the reg goes to 60. but my PRV starts hissing over 50. and yeah i think my picnic tap would spew over 20. 5gallons of co2 weighs 1.23 oz's. so i shake it to the homebrew till i get 1.3oz's into the keg, then just leave it unhooked up so it can settle and chill.

how long do you leave it unhooked? And, for those of us without a scale that can measure the gravitational pull of Uranus how would long you recommend shaking? (the cider will be chilled properly down to ~33F)

Also, I should clarify that this is a keezer REbuild, and all that's left is to glue the collar to the freezer, zip the lid on and plumb it (I switched to EVA tubing and while I was at it decided I wanted a cleaner looking collar). Even I'm not dumb enough to promise a cider on tap AND a from scratch keezer build within 5 days..I hope

Excellent idea! When doing the shake, rattle and roll method what should the regulator be set at? 30psi? Also, I'm only assuming it is implied that the liquid QD is disconnected?
I sometimes start at 45 psi for the first few minutes, but always end the rolling session at 30 psi. Beer must be cold though. Ice cold is best, like 30-32F. It will work at higher temps, but it may give more foaming issues.
I rock/roll until the reg pretty much stops groaning, about 7-10 minutes. There is some judgment there, when to stop, I think. That's with a full keg, ~1 pint to 1 quart of headspace, no more than 2 quarts.

Yup, only the gas QD is connected. I make sure the line goes upward from the QD, maybe loosely tied to something. The line slaps around a lot, but otherwise moves freely with the keg.

I then put it upright, and in the keezer at 10-12 psi. Right before I pour, I release the extra headspace pressure, just a short pull on the PRV, you get a feel for that, soundwise.
The best is, I've never had it badly overcarbonated doing it that way. If it's a tad too foamy, just pull the PRV a few more times.

gravitational pull of Uranus how would long you recommend shaking? (the cider will be chilled properly down to ~33F)

LOL, i don't have an accurate stop watch i'm affraid. i have to take a about 2-3 breaks durring shaking and rolling. i'd almost say the first ounce of co2 is free, the kegs take it quick. it's that last 0.3. so i'd say 50psi until the reg stops purring, and you'll be allright. after using my scale i could almost do it by hearing.

and as far as leaving it unhooked, i've had my second keg of oat malt beer sitting unhooked since 10-7-20, just kicked the first one, hooked it up to gas and beverage, perfectly carbed. i think it was 10-7 anyway, but good to go, i only gave it 1oz, because i wanted a quicky, but good...i basically shook rattled and rolled it till the reg stopped making noise. said f'it, GE

Well I got the cider racked into a keg last night, dropped it down to 31F, hooked up to 30psi (that's as high as my regulator goes) and shook it for 8.5 minutes. I've got it sitting in the keezer at 13psi doin' its thing and I will check carb level about this time tomorrow. Thanks @IslandLizard and @bracconiere for all the help. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back