First time kegging and have some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if this should go in the Beginner forum or not, but this place seemed logical as well.

First, this is my first batch of brew in a LONG time. Made a recipe American Pale Ale from steeped grains and extracts. It has been conditioning in primary for 4 weeks come Sunday and I would like to move it to my new pin lock keg setup. Garage is at a nice and constant 38F so it will be a good time to just leave it out there and enjoy.

My plan is to sanitize the keg and lines and racking equipment (line and autosiphon). Then I plan to rack from my primary to my keg. Apply 30PSI pressure for 24 hours then knock down to 10psi and start sampling. I expect this keg to last a while and I want to see how the beer changes in both carb level and taste as I drink it in the next few weeks (if it lasts that long).

First question: does this sound like a good plan?

Second question: For future brews, can I secondary in the keg under CO2 pressure? I primaried this for 4 weeks and have read the pros and cons of whether to rack to a secondary or not. I guess this question is more about secondary. Do I need the second racking to help clear the beer (and whatever else is going to go on) before introduction into the keg? Can I just primary ferment (until I reach FG) and then rack to keg and leave it under final pressure for many weeks to "condition"?

Thanks for your help.

My questions come f

1. yes

2. I generally leave the beer in the fermenter for three weeks after the fermentation is done, then rack to the keg. Most of the time I carbonate by leaving it on serving pressure for a couple weeks. If I'm making a clone kit and it comes with priming sugar, I use it.

So, yes, no, yes.

Back