First time - is this mould?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sou22end

Reaction score
Hey,

So I’m 6 days into my first ever Kombucha fermentation and I thought I’d sneak a peak under the cloth today to see how it’s shaping up, and I think that mould might be forming on the surface (but I’m not sure...)
7E5E5040-F04E-4493-809A-767C26D49448.jpeg
There are about 6 white circles that look at bit furry - is this mould? Or is this normal? I’ve attached some pics and grateful for any advice!

D3B918EF-7980-48DC-A0DA-03BEFB8EE5CA.jpeg

It sure looks suspicious for mold. :(
Did you use plenty of starter tea? That's what keeps the pH low enough so that mold can't/won't form.

Thank you for replying.

You may be right that I haven’t used enough starter tea... I ordered this scoby which came in about 50ml of starter tea (I didn’t add any more) and added that to 4500ml of tea/water (300g sugar). Temperature has been between 21 - 22 degrees for the 6 days and I keep it in a darkish corner of the kitchen... might have to order a new scoby, sterilise the kit and start again! Second time lucky...

Back