First time IPA. Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeBrew

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my first IPA, and I'd really appreciate some help putting it together. This is what I'm toying with so far.

8lbs Pilsner Malt Extract
1lb Crystal 60
.5lb Marris Otter

I plan on using the following hops, but not sure in what amounts. Warrior, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, and Falconers Flight. I will be using WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast. I'm looking for a balanced IPA, with lots of citrus and floral notes, but without a crazy amount of bitterness. I also plan on doing a continuous hop method for this brew. Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Maybe .25 oz each of Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra @ 20/15/10/5/0, and then dry hopping to taste (maybe .5 oz more of each). That will put you around 50 IBUs, another .5 oz of any of them at 60 min would add another ~20 IBUs if you want a firmer bitterness.

My personal taste in IPAs is to do a bitterness addition, and then nothing until flameout and dry hop. I like the hopbursting (continual hopping) for lighter beers where I want lots of hop aromatics with a softer bitterness (the IBUs often taste lower than they calculate out to be).

Sounds like Falconers Flight is a blend, I tend to avoid things like that because I like having control over what I am using.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Yeah, FF is a blend, but it comes highly reccomended, and it smells absolutely amazing. I've had an IPA that used it, and it was great. Thanks for the advice OldSock. Do the malt/grain amounts seem ok? My computer crashed so, no more Beersmith for rhe moment. :( Thanks again guys

No real reason to have the Maris Otter, it needs to be mashed to convert the starches to sugars and won't provide any noticeable flavor at that small amount. Otherwise it looks fine. Good luck, hope it turns out well.

Back