First Time Growing Hops -- Advice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0PSFAIRY

Reaction score
I am going to "attempt" to grow 2 hop plants in containers. To add to the level of difficulty I am going to "try" to grow them on a screened in porch..... In Florida! If anyone has any suggestions to help increase my success please let me know.

If the hops do grow I will have to make some type of trellis that they can grow across the screen, or ceiling or zig zag I haven't got that far yet. In the end I am hoping for a jungle of hops that resemble something like a grape vine with a better smell the bonus would be to bock out my neighbors and add privacy!

Here is a few pictures of the porch. Its about 15 by 10. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20170424_122851.jpg

IMG_20170424_122854.jpg

IMG_20170424_122902.jpg

Get big containers. Water well, but not drowning them. PLENTY OF SUN if you can. Make sure they have something to creep on. If you can't go UP anymore, make something they can grow ACROSS.

Hops like sun. Cascade are generally pretty hardy and might be one of the best to start with.

I would re-consider your plan. Hops love sun and water and they climb and climb, so putting them in an indoor space without a lot of vertical room runs counter to their natural tendencies.

It looks like you are on the second floor - do you have access to the ground level? If so, you could put the containers on the ground level and then run sisal rope up to the top of your porch. The bines can hit 20' easily enough - my setup is 15' and I wish I could go higher.

For your current situation, I would consider running sisal rope horizontally, and training them around it, kinda like crown molding.

Back