First time Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinolsen84

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm sure this has been asked before, but I need some feedback. This is the first time that I have force carbed a ball lock keg and I don't quite know how to do it. last night I put the kegged beer in the fridge and hooked up the out and in line. I set my psi a 15. Am I on track? How long will it take to carb? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've done this a few times:

Set pressure to 30psi with keg in fridge (cold absorbs co2 better), leave for 36hrs. Then dial pressure down to 10psi and leave for 24-48 hours. It'll be drinkable afterwards. It'll get better the longer you leave it @ 10psi, but in a pinch this works great. Hope it works out.

that is how I do it also ^^^^^

but here is a chart that may help you, set and forget takes 2 to 3 weeks

all the best

S_M

Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

I would read this sticky. If you want the most reliable carbonation without overshooting then the set and forget method is IMO the easiest. You find your desired carb level and pressure needed for the temp of your beer, set it to that pressure, and leave it. It takes about 2 wks to fully get there but I often start drinking the kegs arounc 7-8 days when it's most of the way there. On the other hand, many people have their schedule dialed in and burst carb at higher pressure with no issues. So if you need to have the keg carbed in a day or two feel free to experiment, but know that you run the risk of overshooting. Shaking/rolling the keg at high pressure is a good way to overshoot.

Back