First time-festabrew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaM

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time making beer. I have made wine 4 times.

I got west coast ipa kit. This is day 2 in primary and it's doing fine. I added 1oz of cryo cascade hops, because I want grapefruit flavor. I heard that the cryo hops are stronger than regular hops. If I leave this in for 2 weeks, or however long until bottling, will that be ok, or do I need to move it off the hops after a week? Should I have waited until after krausen to add hops? The lady at the store said I could add it at the beginning. I'd rather leave in primary until bottling day, if possible.

Also, if it's done fermenting after 2 weeks, can I bottle right away, or do I need to wait longer? Reason I'm asking is that I'm going to visit a friend in a month and I'd like to bring her some beer. If I can bottle in 2 weeks, then it should be ready by then. If that's really a bad idea, then I can wait longer.

Two weeks is likely fairly okay, but the only way to be sure is to measure with hydrometer, a couple days apart, and see if (a) it is near expected finish gravity; and (b) it does not change in a couple days.

Someone else with dryhop, and dryhop with cryohops, will have to answer the dryhop questions.

Two weeks is likely fairly okay, but the only way to be sure is to measure with hydrometer, a couple days apart, and see if (a) it is near expected finish gravity; and (b) it does not change in a couple days.

Someone else with dryhop, and dryhop with cryohops, will have to answer the dryhop questions.
Thanks.

I've never used cryo hops but I've dry hopped a lot. Usually if you dry hop during fermentation it's for a NEIPA to get bio transformation. Imo theres no need to dry hop longer then 5 days . I will dry hop 3-5 days out from packaging . If your beer is done fermenting ( hydrometer check) your good to bottle .

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/26/dry-hop-length-long-vs-short-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks for the link. It was nteresting.
So, basically, my beer will be fine. :)
The airlock smells wonderful right now.

Back