Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
To all my fellow FastFermenters:
I am using the 3 gallon conical for the first time. I attached a larger mason jar to the unit, and after a week of fermentation, I've got an 8oz mason jar full of trub, as well as an additional 1L of trub in the fermenter. I am trying to figure out the best way to progress:
I obviously will start by removing the mason jar with the valve closed and dumping it.
1) Has anyone had problems with oxidation after reattaching the jar and reopening the valve? I am debating trying to fill the mason jar with CO2 before reattaching.
2) Obviously reattaching the jar will disturb the trub - should I just wait for it to resettle?
I am trying to harvest the yeast before dry-hopping, but will the yeast now be mixed with hops and cold-break from the kettle?
Do I just need to reattach, wait for trub to settle, drain, reattach, wait for trub to settle?
Just trying to wrap my head around the best way to do this?

Back