First Time Extract Brew, Steep and DME questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrEricFautstein

Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone, I am brewing a small, 1 gal batch for my first brew hopefully today. I did have a few ~silly~ questions I couldn't find anywhere reading around and hope you could answer.

When steeping the grains, do you steep at the desired temperature for the duration of the time it says on the recipe (simply - steep at 153 for 30 mins), or do you just get the temp to 153, add the grains, and turn off the heat? That way, the temp would only be at 153 for a portion of the 30 min and it would cool down as the grains steep.

Which brings me to my second question. Does the steeped brew need to be in the mid 150s to add your extract? Or do you add the extract when the brew is somewhat cooled?

After that is fairly straightforward? Bring to a slow boil. Add hops at desired time intervals. Chill the wort (what is the best way to chill a 12qt pot? Will it harm the beer if it takes a long while, say a few hours or more to cool down?). Add yeast after the wort has cooled to room temp (you do this in the kettle? or do you pitch yeast once it is in the fermentor?). Sterilize everything. Add to fermentor. Bottle.

Also, how much water should I start steeping with? I am brewing a black IPA. Recipe calls for 1.5 lbs DME, .5lb grain (30 mins at 158). 1 oz hops.

Thanks! Your guidance is appreciated,

Happy Sunday everyone, I am brewing a small, 1 gal batch for my first brew hopefully today. I did have a few ~silly~ questions I couldn't find anywhere reading around and hope you could answer.

When steeping the grains, do you steep at the desired temperature for the duration of the time it says on the recipe (simply - steep at 153 for 30 mins), or do you just get the temp to 153, add the grains, and turn off the heat? That way, the temp would only be at 153 for a portion of the 30 min and it would cool down as the grains steep.

Which brings me to my second question. Does the steeped brew need to be in the mid 150s to add your extract? Or do you add the extract when the brew is somewhat cooled?

After that is fairly straightforward? Bring to a slow boil. Add hops at desired time intervals. Chill the wort (what is the best way to chill a 12qt pot? Will it harm the beer if it takes a long while, say a few hours or more to cool down?). Add yeast after the wort has cooled to room temp (you do this in the kettle? or do you pitch yeast once it is in the fermentor?). Sterilize everything. Add to fermentor. Bottle.

Also, how much water should I start steeping with? I am brewing a black IPA. Recipe calls for 1.5 lbs DME, .5lb grain (30 mins at 158). 1 oz hops.

Thanks! Your guidance is appreciated,

Hello,

153 the entire 30 min.

Add 1/2 of your extract at the first part of your boil, add the other 1/2 with about 10 min left in the boil, shut off burner when adding extract and stir when adding it.

Look up a article on here called, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/cooling-wort-fast-without-chiller.html
I added the link for you.

Pitch after you transfer to fermenter.

Start with as much water as you can, up to the entire amount the recipe calls for.

Cheers :mug:

Back