First time dumping a batch :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
I brewed an American Red Ale about a month ago and bottled yesterday. I tried a new method and used home-made VT maple syrup from my wife's uncle. I guess I grossly overestimated the amount I needed and, on top of that, I had a bottle that was on display (with dust and Lord knows what else on it) fall into my bottling bucket. After 3 days, I noticed an odd film at the top of the beer in the neck of the bottle...curious, I cracked one open and it was a gusher...i tasted it and it tasted like socks drown in maple syrup...so, down the sink they went.

It's a sad day!

I brewed an American Red Ale about a month ago and bottled yesterday. I tried a new method and used home-made VT maple syrup from my wife's uncle. I guess I grossly overestimated the amount I needed and, on top of that, I had a bottle that was on display (with dust and Lord knows what else on it) fall into my bottling bucket. After 3 days, I noticed an odd film at the top of the beer in the neck of the bottle...curious, I cracked one open and it was a gusher...i tasted it and it tasted like socks drown in maple syrup...so, down the sink they went.

It's a sad day!

Sorry for your loss, but socks drown in maple syrup really does sound aweful!:( What's up next?

Sorry for your loss, but socks drown in maple syrup really does sound aweful!:( What's up next?

The wife has been asking for a milk stout, but I think I am going to brew up Yooper's Oatmeal stout instead.

Maybe give it some time? Are there ones without the odd film?

No, sadly, they all had it and every last one of them gushed when I opened it. Glad I caught it before I had bottle bombs in my closet.

The wife has been asking for a milk stout, but I think I am going to brew up Yooper's Oatmeal stout instead.

I always try to keep the wife happy first, it opens doors to all I want. I'd go for the yummy milk stout.

PS: Sorry about your dumper, that dusty bottle dropping must have been one of the most unanticipated events to happen in brew world.

I remember my first failed batch. It was an all grain smoked ale, but instead of ordering 12oz of one of the specialty grains, I ordered 12 POUNDS of the grain. I had the HBS crush the grains all in a bag for me, so I didn't even realize I had made a mistake until I tried the first one. In that case, they ended up being good for marinades, like beer brats.

My next dumped batch was a try at a Three Philosopher's clone, but I overestimated the cherry by an order of magnitude. Even the "light cherry" bottles ended up being AWFUL. I stored them for many months, hoping that overwhelming cherry flavor would fade, to no avail. :(

Dan

Back