First time dry hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ge_Lo

Reaction score
Ok...so I was excited.
I've got my hops, in sanitized mesh bag...sitting in the keg.
Keg is at 38F and 35 psi (force carb.)

I didn't weight down the bag, didn't put dental floss or fishing line on it....it's just in there.
Questions: when to remove...or do I leave it in there? Or...do I open, add some sanitized glass beads to weight it down...

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything beyond what you've done. I often dry hop in serving kegs using whole cones in muslin bags just tossed in without weight, just as often as I stick in a piece of the wife's stainless serving ware (the gravy ladle works best!).

And if I'm dry hopping in a serving keg I leave the hops in 'til the keg kicks. From experience, the ~34°F holding temperature either prevents or substantially retards the development of any "grassy" notes (I've yet to experience any).

Good luck with the burst-carb...

Cheers!

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
What he said ^

But I've found that I need at least a few days of dry hopping at ferm temps to get the hop flavors I'm looking for. I usually put the hop bag full of hops in the bottom of my clean serving keg, rack the beer into the keg, seal the keg with a blast of CO2, and let it sit in my ferm chamber for 7-10 days. I then just move the keg into my keezer and start carbing it. I don't pull the hops until the keg's empty and ready to be cleaned.

CButterworth

Reaction score
What about dry hops in a keg at 54F serving temp? I'd assume that a single cone of something like an East Kent Fuggles would be fine wouldn't it?

Charlie

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
I wouldn't think a single cone would do much of anything, good or bad.