First time cleaning new equipment before brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
I cleaned my wort chiller, stainless steel kettle, and both food grade buckets with Oxyclean Free and rinsed really well, and will rinse again before using. Now I'm curious how to clean my Speidel fermenter for the first time....?

I would just keep doing what you are doing. Sounds like it works. Why would the speidel be any different?

Your right thanks, looks like I'll be pulling out the oxyclean again tomorrow. And of course come brew day I'll be using StarSan on everything.

Did the same to my 60l.
Big plastic smell went away afterward. Made me confident

Metal parts like SS kettles, grain mills, etc have oils on them from assembly, or to protect them after assembly until they're used. These oils do have to be cleaned off, so you're doing the right thing. I soaked everything in cleaner before the first use in the case of plastic fermenters, spoons, paddles, etc. The steel stuff got scrubbed with PBW solution, then rinsed. Save for the grain mill rollers. Some half a pound of old grains were run through it to get the oils off. But rice would do just as well in that case. But a good cleaning, rinse dry is fine. Just sanitize it before use in the case of anything used on the cold side of the process.

Metal parts like SS kettles, grain mills, etc have oils on them from assembly, or to protect them after assembly until they're used. These oils do have to be cleaned off, so you're doing the right thing. I soaked everything in cleaner before the first use in the case of plastic fermenters, spoons, paddles, etc. The steel stuff got scrubbed with PBW solution, then rinsed. Save for the grain mill rollers. Some half a pound of old grains were run through it to get the oils off. But rice would do just as well in that case. But a good cleaning, rinse dry is fine. Just sanitize it before use i the case of anything used on the cold side of the process.

I noticed that! To test out my wort chiller I filled up my kettle a little bit, and noticed a small sheen of oil after it sat for a few moments. I didn't scrub any of the SS stuff just a good soak it hot oxy clean and a very long rinse. Thanks for the additional info on the grain mill that will come in handy for me eventually. I've got StarSan for my sanitizer.

Back