First Time Cider Maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Made another IPA last weekend and still have the "brew itch" goin so I thought I'd give this a try. I've read A LOT of pages on a lot of threads and feel good about giving this a shot. My plan is to use an appropriate juice, appropriate meaning it doesn't contain the fermentation killing potassium sulfate and sodium benzoate, mix with some brown sugar and dextrose to up the OG, pitch some Notti or S05 (haven't decided there) then let it do its thing. Not trying to get too creative the first time around. Oh, and this is only going to be a gallon sized batch for easy handling.

Here is where I would LOVE some feedback. Most recipes I see call to ferment either to 1.01 or well below to below 1.0000, then depending on preferences they either backsweeten or bottle or keg as is. Now for me, I'm aiming for a sweeter cider (trying to make the girlfriend happy). So, instead of messing with backsweetening could I not just start with a sufficiently high OG, let's say somewhere around 1.65, and stop fermentation in the range of 1.01-1.02 while it still has a good amount of sugar left? I'd then bottle, let sit for only 2 or 3 days then begin opening a bottle each day to test where the carbonation is and once it gets to a fair amount of carb I'd pasteurize to halt any further fermentation and store in the fridge. I'd be sure to only let the bottles sit for 2-3 before testing to avoid bombs. Is there any detriment to stopping at a FG of a little below 1.02 vs. going much lower? I don't want it too dry either.

Thoughts? I feel like bottling/carbing is a constant question around the cider recipes and forums so I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks everyone!

Trying to stop a fermentation is like trying to stop a spinning pinwheel. it is really really difficult. Its easier on the yeast to backsweet, then pasteurize or keep cold.

Back